Last week, I decided to drag myself out of the hole I was in and be productive. I have a long list (like four pages in a Word document) of things that need to be done around the house. Since we are a little cash poor this month, I'm trying to work on projects that I already have the supplies needed.
This leads me to our Master Bedroom. I've been working on it for awhile but it still isn't ready for a reveal. Soon, very soon, I hope. The bedroom has a vaulted ceiling so we hung the drapes high. This left a bare space between the curtain rod and the frame of the window as you see below:
Excuse the very poor lighting and picture. I took it just before Mr. Creative started to hang my shade! Here is an after shot.
I had some fabric in a sort of plaid print that had the colors that are in the room. Blue with brown and cream. Mr. Creative made me two 1x2 pieces of wood the length I needed to hang past the window frame but hidden under the curtain panels.
This definitely isn't a tutorial. This idea was in my head and it came together as I went along, so there aren't any "in progress" pictures. Basically, I hemmed the sides and bottom, pressed the top over and pulled the fabric up in two sections to make the folds. I tacked the folds in three places to hold and then pressed the shade smooth. We then stapled the folded over top to the board and Mr. Creative screwed it into the wall. Of course there was a lot of measuring to get them even for sewing and for hanging!
I really like the way they turned out. It gives the windows a more finished look.
Here is the other window. As you can see, privacy isn't an issue for us so they are stationery and not very long.
You can see part of the table I painted the other day in the picture above.
I'm very happy with the way they turned out. The room is slowly coming together. I ordered some dark brown Briwax to try on the white part of the table on Mr. Creative's side of the bed. His dresser has to be painted as well. I finished the armoire but haven't showed it yet.
I hope this little project inspires someone to try something they aren't quite sure how to do. It's amazing how things can turn out when you take your time and try. This project took most of the afternoon.
Thanks for stopping by and have an awesome weekend!