Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas on the Front Porch & Blog Changes

You know... a lot has changed in the last year that I haven't been blogging. It used to be that all we needed were Google followers. Now I see that bloggers have a Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+... and the list goes on it seems.

I'm behind in the times. Without growing with each addition, it seems I have to learn it all at one time. Now that is overwhelming! Baby steps...

The first thing I've done is set up a Facebook page for Creative Decorating on a Budget. I even managed to get something on my sidebar to let you know. Not sure if it works correctly! I'm not even sure I have the Facebook page set up right. I really want to keep my private self private and my blog page public. Guess we'll see what happens!

Okay, enough of my whining about technology and how hard it is to learn new things when you get to be my age!

Now on to Christmas Decorating!

The other day I did a little decorating. Just on the front porch. I'm keeping it simple and bringing out what is important to me. Family memories...

Like this sled. I've mentioned before that Mr. Creative and I grew up together. I used to go sleigh riding and playing in the snow with him and his siblings as well as other neighborhood kids. We both have used and abused that sled as well as another one in the shed. You can't see it but there is black electrical tape holding a piece of it together! Fun times BEFORE there was Under Armour and Thinsulate! Just think how long we could have played outside in the snow if we had the modern technology to keep us warm!


I found the ice skates at a thrift store for $2. I've never gone ice skating. I tucked an old scarf and gloves on the sled and skates to make it look like we were just getting ready to go out!

I have two of these prelit trees that I bought about four years ago. Of course now the lights don't work so I had to add another strand of 50 lights to it! I decorated this little tree with ornaments that we had from our boys' tree they had in their room when they were little. It has some cross stitch ornaments that Grandma made for them, icicles that a dear aunt made before she passed away from breast cancer and also a few that the boys made when in pre-school.


I wrapped up some empty boxes to look like presents in order to hide the stains on the flower pot! Wish I could hide the black stain on the rug from where the dog likes to lay! I'm hoping he doesn't shred the presents when he is bored...

The poinsetta basket is something I made for my mother in law over 10 years ago. She was downsizing a few years ago and gave it back to me. It has lights inside which gives off a warm glow at night. I love it!

Don't forget those thrift store pillows I bought for $1 each!


Here was my first attempt at a night time picture! 


This one turned out much better. Took me a few times to find the right setting! 


Here is an even better shot. Makes me smile!


Mr. Creative said it is nice to come home from work and be greeted with such a warm homecoming!

Well, I have cookie day tomorrow so I have to get started baking tonight. Hopefully I will get more Christmas decorations out next week! Stay tuned...

I'm linking to Old Time Farmhouse for the Old Time Party!

I'm linking to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special!


Also linking to Homespun Christmas at Savvy Southern Style.


Have a great day!

Bonnie

12 comments:

  1. How fun to be coming back and finding all the "new" ways of connecting with the blog world. Take your time and you will get it. I know bloggers are always willing to help explain something if you get stuck.
    I so wish I had a big front porch to decorate like this. You did a great job and have inspired me to go find some skates to hang from my sled too. I don't know the history of mine though as I bought it used. I am sure it was loved and it certainly was well used. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your porch decor. The sled is so pretty with the scates, scarf, etc. Very cozy and warm entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like your front porch decorating. Like you I just added a sled with ice skates hanging from it. Your porch is so cozy looking. Also all bloggers are more than happy to answer question! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you like my Holiday Mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie- I hear you about the FB and Twitter, etc. I sometimes feel like a dinosaur in a techy world. I did set up a FB page last week for NanaDiana but I don't know if I will keep it, or not. I, too, like my private world away from blogging-

    Your front porch is beautiful. Love the sled story and I think you need to learn to skate- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie! Your porch looks wonderful and so festive! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! The poinsettia basket is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch is so inviting. I love the sled idea. The next time I find a pair of skates I'm getting them...even if I find them in the middle of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i found an old sled in my mom's basement last year, but i need to find some skates! yours were a steal! love it with the scarf tucked in.

    ugh, blogger changes. not me, i'm still keeping it basic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, I love your sled on your porch, but most of all, I love the story behind it. It must be great to have such memories of growing up with your hubby and his family. I am still behind in the blog world also, but not sure that I am going to keep blogging after the holidays.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about all the different methods people are using to "get connected" now. I just stay with my blog for the reasons I use it. I don't use the other methods very much. Your Christmas decorations on your front porch area look so nice. The red front door is the perfect back drop for your decorations too! Love the sled. I have one too from my husband's childhood. It still works and our kids play with it in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the decor on your porch, the sled is perfect! Loving all the colors this time of year, so bright and festive, you have a gorgeous porch to decorate! I feel your pain about all the technology, I can't keep up so I don't get involved in much of it. Good luck with your FB page. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with Facebook. I don't even attempt it. I have hard enough time keeping up with blogging. Your porch is so welcoming. I love that your sled has a story. That makes it all the more special. Thanks for joining in at the Old Time Party!
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails