Sunday, January 29, 2012

Our Heart is Breaking...

Cancer is an ugly word...it is an even uglier disease.

With all the technology in this world, you would think they would have found a real cure. Not just a "treatment".

My father in law was diagnosed with Mesothelioma cancer three years ago. This is a cancer mostly caused by being in an environment where you are breathing asbestos. A silent killer that takes 25-35 years to show up and when it does, it is usually too late.

My in-laws started out their young life with little money in the 1950's. He wanted to provide his family with a home and security. He bought a house under construction that he could complete himself while they lived in the basement. In those days, most products contained asbestos in the drywall, compound, siding, shingles, etc. He breathed that silent killer in the air...

So my father in law is dying from a cancer he got trying to do the right thing for his family. He is a strong man that never smoked, rarely drank and always went to church. They raised 4 children, put them through Catholic school on a very small single income. They went on one big vacation to the lake EVERY year. He took his sons and daughter hunting/fishing and taught them how to be strong.

He has been receiving chemo treatments for 3 years. He has continued his way of life for those 3 years. Still hunting, fishing and camping. Now it comes down to bronchitis that turned into pneumonia. It has weakened his body to the point that it can't fight anymore. 

Now he struggles to breathe in his hospital room while we watch. He is still laughing and telling stories...with an oxygen mask on.

How long can this continue? No one knows for sure. Will he be here for his 80th birthday on February 9th that we had planned to give him a party? We don't know. One thing I do know is that since he can't come to the party, we are bringing the party to him!

He touches so many lives. He never knows a stranger. He always tries to do the right thing.

He is a man of INTEGRITY!

Here is my father in law with my husband and our two sons. Tell me, does this man look like he is fighting cancer and going to be 80 years old???? He is an awesome roll model for his grandsons!


17 comments:

  1. Don't question, just enjoy every second that you can get...praying here. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I am so sorry and will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for your father in law as well. I know hard this is. This was the verse today on Our Daily Bread; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. Praying your family find God's comfort too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bonnie, what a touching post. We will pray for your father-in-law and your family. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Bonnie-My heart is aching for you and your family. I am so sorry that this man that you love is slipping away from you before your eyes. The best part, though, is that he is leaving the legacy of being a GOOD person that always did the RIGHT thing..and that he loved..and is loved. Blessings to all of you as you go through this tough time. I know that God has a special place in Heaven for him, but being selfish, I am praying that he lets you have him for just a bit longer. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dad died of it. Bone cancer. He was in terrible pain. Never complained. Just try and take it a day at a time.
    I live in Buffalo NY where Roswell Cancer Hospital has found a possible cure for many types of cancer. They have a very extensive research dept. and just announced it last week. Hopefully this will be the end of cancer! Too late for my Dad. Maybe in time for yours?
    Prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I am so sorry. I know this is such a difficult time, but like Dianntha said, just spend every moment that you can with him and enjoy each second. Ask all the questions that you may ever want to know. Have him tell stories and tape him or make sure to write them down. There are so many questions that I would ask my mom if she were here right now but at 24, I just didn't know. Do that for your boys. Take care of yourself too. I will be thinking of you and sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing...men like that are hard to come by. My heart aches for what your family is going through right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My prayers are with you. Cancer sucks! One of my best friends who is 39 yrs old found out today that she has a tumor. She fought cancer when she was in her 20's & after being in remission for 13 yrs. it may be back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I am so sorry to hear this. I worked with a girl whose brother died from this and he was young. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for your FIL and all the family. Stay strong and just be there with him. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry your Family is going through this. I will keep you in my daily prayers.

    God Bless you and your Family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, I am sorry that you are going through this. Cancer is an ugly disease. I am currently planning a funeral dinner for a young man (early 40's), the father of my son's friend, who went through a horrendous several months and lost the battle this week. He leaves behind a widow and thirteen year old son. My heart breaks for them.

    I pray that you will find comfort in this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sooo sorry for your families pain and suffering, Bonnie. Ya'll are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie I am so sorry to hear this.

    Please know that I am praying for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. With spring may life begin again. Have a blessed beautiful birthday and year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Miss Bonnie! I hope you have been doing good! I hope your Father-in-law is doing well, also.

    Thank you so much for stopping by and your sweet words!

    Take care!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails