Monday, January 31, 2011

Making Speaker Boxes and Preparing for the Storm

First off...we are getting ready tor the "Thunder Snow / Thunder Ice" that is going to hit here in St. Louis later today and all day tomorrow.  The predictions are scary.  I have been clueless since I haven't watched the weather for a few days.  I went to Wal-Mart yesterday before I knew what was going on and the carts were gone, the shelves were bare,  the lines were long, the people were crabby and I only bought what I had to get instead of everything we needed. 

Then I get home and find out we could get an inch of ice and 12 - 24 inches of snow.  Great...my mother is in the hospital again...I need to go back out to get more food in case we can't get out.  I need to go to the hospital to make sure my mom is eating and doing okay (nurses are great but under staffed so they can't tend to her needs).  

Plus trying to prepare for any length of power outage.  We have been through 5 days twice now so I think we know what to do.  The generator is ready...we have gas for it.  The BBQ has propane and we have propane for the camp stove.  Mr. Creative has the house wired so we can plug the generator directly into the house and can run everything we need except things with heating elements such as the dryer and the electric stove.  We will make coffee, though!!!

Here is a project that we all worked on.  My oldest son got sub-woofer speakers for Christmas but needed the boxes.  


Mr. Creative purchased some MDF and together they made the boxes to specs.  I got the lucky chore of painting them.  I covered the kitchen table and got to work painting them black.


Together, they wired them up and here they are ready to be put in the trunk of his car.  I think they turned out great! 


For those of you that don't know, these are the speakers that make the cars sound like a sonic boom when they drive by.  I can't believe that MY son would do something like this!  Only somebody else's son would do that!  However, he is a great kid and we decided to choose our battles carefully and this wasn't as important as others!!

Well, I am off to stop by the hospital and feed mama some breakfast, then drop off my signed offer letter at my new job, and hopefully buy the rest of the items I need from the grocery store.  Then back home to hunker down for the blizzard of 2011!

Stay WARM!!!

Bonnie



13 comments:

  1. The speakers look fabulous. You all did a great job. I sure hope your weather isn't as bad as predicted. Take care. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you... doubly! My family is in N Jeff Co and are battening down the hatches too. In '94 we had such an ice storm and it was bad. But we were blessed that there was no snow and it warmed to the 40s that day. Y'all are going to be soooo cold afterwards. That bites. Don't forget to store up some water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, be careful out there. and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great speakers and warn him that it will ruin his hearing! Hope the storm isn't too bad. Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son's friends will be asking you to design them some speaker boxes if you don't watch it. I am sorry to hear about your mom. I hope things get better. I certainly hope you don't get the weather that they are predicting for you. If so, just be careful and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bonnie!
    Yes, I just heard last night we here in Metro Detroit area are gonna get hit hard to. We usually have to BIG storms either south or north of us...but this ones gonna be big.

    Stay safe and I you can get all you need to do done. I have really enjoyed your blog and creativity too!

    Blessings...Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie!
    Yes, I just heard last night we here in Metro Detroit area are gonna get hit hard to. We usually have to BIG storms either south or north of us...but this ones gonna be big.

    Stay safe and I you can get all you need to do done. I have really enjoyed your blog and creativity too!

    Blessings...Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yah,
    I know what you mean about the forecast. We are about three hours east of you and I haven't heard any of these predictions until today. I was surprised about the severity, they were warning of power outages. Ugh! Not looking forward to this.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahaha! My youngest sons is already on a second set of woofers! LOL! He traded out one for another with a friend. I hate how load those things are but atleast I can hear him coming! LOL! You are right, we do have to pick our battles. Yall did a great job on these boxes. I hope you stay warm and safe from the storm! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know..and you are smart to pick your battles. Some things are just faddish and will be outgrown..others things can alter their life forever. My son had those too and now he would never have his music that loud...but he did...and we had a rule that when he turned off the main street into a residential section we had to NOT be able to hear it outside the car....and that worked real well...and kept the neighbors from complaining...(and/or hating our kid). BTW-Great job on the speakers..they look very professional!

    Hope you don't get all that weather that they are predicting for you. We have a bunch of snow coming too and I think it is sweeping North from your area. Keep it there- will you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great team work! Stay safe and I sure hope the storm isn't as bad as predicted.

    Enjoy your evening,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those speakers look so professional! You're smart to choose your battles.

    I hope the storm won't be as severe as they're reporting. You sound as prepared as you can be, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL So this is what causes my entire car to vibrate and hurt my ears when I'm next to some kid at the stop light! If I think it's loud, what in the world do the occupants of the car endure? I guess it does pay to pick one's battles- it could be worse! Just remind him that some communities have noise ordinances. Ours does and it IS enforced!
    We also got the ice storm on Tues. and Wed. But today a nice 18º. Not bad at all with that sun shining down on us.
    You have one heckuva long driveway! My beast of a snow blower would be getting a huge workout on your property. :-)
    Hope the sun's shining on ya!
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails