Friday, January 21, 2011

Accessorizing the Family Room

Well, I keep shopping my home to put together vignettes for my family room.  This is an area of decorating that I struggle.  I can do major makeovers of furniture, walls or arranging furniture but I have a very hard time arranging accessories to complete a vignette.  So I scour all of your blogs to get inspiration and then try to replicate using what I have.

The top of our entertainment armoire is a hard area because we have two story walls.  Eventually I want to purchase a large old world round clock to hang on the wall above this armoire to give it the height it is missing.  But, doing the best I can, I put this together using what I have.  You will notice a wildlife theme as Mr. Creative is a big hunter and fisherman.  As a family, we love nature.  I try to make the wildlife work around the room. 

To read how I transformed this armoire, please click on this POST.

Over to the right of the armoire, I have placed one of the old chairs that I STILL have to reupholster (I am in process on the matching chair).  I tried to put together a corner that works with those treasured fish of Mr. Creative!  The table was $15 on Craigslist that I painted and glazed.  There is also a lamp that I transformed from silver to bronze.  I will do a post on the lamp and table later!  I added a ginger jar, some books and a thrift store $1 bowl that I painted, too! 


Here you can see more of the area together.  You can see the open spot to the left of the armoire that is awaiting that reupholstered chair!!


I know this look isn't for everyone, but I try to incorporate "the men" of the family into my design.  Being the only female in a male world, I am also trying not to lose me!!  Anyway, this is a racoon hide that my father in law gave me, a very large deer shed antler that our dog found in the woods on our property and a very old walnut bowl that belonged to my parents.  I just filled it with some pine cones.


This is our computer armoire.  I'm not thrilled with the accessories here but I am about out of options when shopping the house.  I may have to purchase a few things!!
  The back wall is wallpaper that I hung under the loft to give it a little shine and dimension.


The doors on the computer cabinet are RARELY ever closed!!  This is the chair we use for the computer.  I hung our family portrait here.  I had it on the wall next to the TV armoire but it just looked lonely!  I really like it here as you see it as soon as you come in the family room from the foyer.


Another area that I'm not thrilled about is the top of my dresser that I use as a sofa table.  I need different accessories as these just aren't cutting it!

To see the transformation of the dresser, please click on this POST.

Last but not least is the fireplace wall that I have showed you previously.  This is reality blogging so the mess on the hearth is the norm.  We use this wood burning stove to heat our house so there is always wood droppings everywhere!!
I am linking up to the following parties:

My Romantic Home

French Country Cottage


Southern in My Heart


Miss Mustard Seed

Thank you for stopping by and make sure to check out my furniture feature post links above!!
Have a blessed day,
Bonnie

20 comments:

  1. I think your vignettes are all wonderful. I love the look you are going for. Rustic with an elegant twist. One think I have found to be great for me is the use of books. You can find fabulous books with all kinds of different colored bindings at the Goodwill and so inexpensive. They are wonderful to stack and place things on for added height and to also fill in space. I think they also add such wonderful character to a room. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I think you have done a fine job of creating vignettes with what you have. My dad would love the fish. I grew up with his catches on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks beautiful!! I love the antler and raccoon skin....great texture!

    You could add in a nest and bird, maybe a cloche on a stand for height or a platter, to the dresser (which I LOVE as a sofa table)....When I am doing a vignette, I think in layers...

    You have a great eye for detail!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie you do a great job of making the entire family happy! Your vignettes just keep getting better and better. Funny I was thinking the other day how it has been to watch us all grow and evolve and really get better at what we love. You are rockin it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Bonnie,
    Girl you always come up with the bet things to decorate with..I love that you take in the men in your life also..That's what a home ia all about..I love your fireplace girl and that you use it not just for show..Hope you have a GREAT weekend and thanks for antoher peek into your home ha ha!!
    Hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, it appears you have the vignette thing down! I love it all, but I especially think the top of the armoire looks awesome! I, too, have such trouble with my small tabletop vignettes! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I think everything looks great! I really LOVE your fireplace. One of these days I would love to have a stone fireplace in my home. I also love your stacks of books with the bowl. Everything just looks so pretty!! You may be scouring other people's blogs but there are people scouring yours too! :)
    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie I think your vignettes are great! I love your fireplace mantle and the top of your armoire! On the computer hutch maybe your could just add some of your fabric scrunched up for color and your good. I know you've got some of that left. Unless of course you really just want to shop for something else. LOL! Even if you don't add anything there though it looks great to me! I think you always do a great job and reflects your family! That is whats most important!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your vignettes, and a house should be a HOME. Using things that mean something to your family is better than any designer room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie- You are WAY too hard on yourself. I think it looks great....and there are MEN in the house you know...and they don't like lace and ruffles...at least MyHero doesn't...so I am glad to see that you have a place where they can feel comfortable.

    It looks really nice and I think you did a great job of "shopping" your home. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks terrific! I love how you stick to a style that means something to you and the family! Mr. Creative must be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie,

    I love what you have done. It all looks really pretty. I love the dresser/sofa table. It really looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for stopping by! I love all the vignettes that I ahve seen. And your family picture is so nice! I had a hard time with the raccoon hide because we have racoons that TRY to live on our roof and they are a REAL nuisance!!!!! I want them GONE, not on my table:):) LOL!!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally struggle with surfaces too Bonnie but I think you have done a fabulous job making everything look warm and inviting! And, you included the things that your husband enjoys too which is so important. Thank you so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday! :-)
    Vanessa
    P.S. I'm really liking the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your vignettes and the thoughfulness of taking your family's interest into the decor.
    And, I always think that the antlers are an interesting part!

    On another note, someday I will have to post a picture of the mounted head of a redtail my son shot (2 years ago, I think & in Missouri). It is so huge and it made the "record book". Who knew records were kept on such things?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there~ This room looks wonderful and cozy! The vignettes you have created are lovely and shopping around the house to find things to put out is always good- sometimes I am amazed at some of the things that I look at a different way, for a different space sometimes! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Bonnie, It's been a while since I've dropped in. Looks like you've been busy...everything looks great! I love how you incorporate your men into the look of your home. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Bonnie! I believe your decorating is fantastic! Also, to incorporate the men in your life...well, you've done great! Looks very warm and cozy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Finally playing catch up AGAIN! I went back and read your latest posts. Good luck with the interview, sounds like an interesting job! I love what you did with the mantel...the jar redo was great! I think you are doing a beautiful of job of pulling things together. I like the things on the computer armoire. Today's post is great too. I wonder if you propped a mirror behind this vignette it would add some height until you found your big clock!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hubby has a room with all of his "trophies". I think it is WONDERFUL that you have incorporated the boys into your space! It looks great and your vignettes are perfection!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails