Monday, November 15, 2010

Kitchen Makeover in Process

I have been working steadily but not too hard since Mr. Creative left to go hunting!  My SIL is in town from CA so I have taken some time to spend with her.  I wanted to show you my progress so far but first I have to show you what our kitchen looked like when we built the house in 1995!  These are pictures of old pictures since I don't have a scanner!
 

Some people would cringe now but I absolutely loved this kitchen then!  I loved the wallpaper with fruit on it.  I loved the dark mauve counter tops!  Even the oak cabinets!


Of course, with the childhood that I had, this was like a beautiful mansion to me.  However, by today's standards, our house is just average.  There isn't a day goes by that I don't look around and think I can't believe this is my home.  You see, the majority of my life, I lived in mobile homes or rental houses.  We were quite poor.


There was a time when we were going to sell our home and the realtor said that it needed to be toned down.  So here is what happened.  Boring paint color.  I had valances but took them down when I was getting ready to paint again.


Boring counter tops.  This all made the oak cabinets look dated and drab to me.


Plus with no pictures on the wall, there was no life to the room.  However, that is all about to change on a budget!


I added some wood scroll work to the fake drawers under the sink and have started painting everything in a light ivory with a mocha glaze.


Since there aren't any doors on right now, I have even begun cleaning out the cabinets!  Funny the things that get stuck in the very back that you really don't need!!

Here is a snapshot of one of the doors.  Mr. Creative picked out a pneumatic paint sprayer for me so I tried it out on the doors.  I was surprised how well it worked for being my first time.  The mocha glaze hides any issues so it was a great first project.  All the doors and frame on the left side are now drying and then get 2 coats of polyurethane today. 


I wanted to make sure that the grain of the oak will still show to keep Mr. Creative from being disturbed about my painting over the wood!!  I really like how they have turned out.

Here you can see the beadboard wallpaper that I have added to all the sides.  Our cabinets were only wood fronts so everything else was particle board with oak paper on them.


Because of space issues, I am doing just one side at a time.  Too many doors and not enough space in the garage!!  Wish me luck!!  Mr. Creative will be home this Sunday!!  I hope I can get it done!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!!
Bonnie

11 comments:

  1. The beadboard really dresses up the cabinet frames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey AGAIN Bonnie! Ohhh! New post I get to check out! Im not ready for Christmas either!!! Thank you for following...im headed to follow you! I LOVE finding fellow bloggers that show their faith! Im going to Grab your Button...would love for you to Grab mine! I always say Have a Blessed day too! Kindred spirits I say!
    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already it's looking lighter and brighter Bonnie. Can't wait to see it finished! I hope to tackle my kitchen this winter. I too, bought some beadboard wallpaper to add to my cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see it all finished!! It's going to look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! That is already looking so good! Hang in there girl, you are off to a great start. I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, they are going to look fantastic! Girl, you've been busssssyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it!!! I can't wait to see those cabinets. I keep trying to get the family to do it for my mother in law. I will have to show them yours! Can't wait to see the end product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie- I love what you are doing! I think you hubby is going to be very surprised when he comes home and sees all that you have accomplished. I can't believe that you have never used a sprayer before. Those things are tricky!

    And as to the other part of your post~ There is no shame in being poor...or in having been poor. The only shameful thing is those that look down their noses at people that have less than they do. My husband's grandparents were very wealthy and they lived a very modest lifestyle. When people spent lots of money and lived and spent lots of money she called them the Noveau Riche' and said that people that had true wealth-well, you never knew they had it. They lived comfortably and blessed others behind the scenes as they could.

    I am blessed too, to live in the home that I do and have the comforts that I have. I never feel that I am better than anyone and I often feel guilty for having nice things while others struggle just to get by.

    Now how did I get onto all that??? Anyway, sweetie pie, you are doing a wonderful job! Love the beadboard - I have it on the ends of my island...I didn't even know they made beadboard wallpaper until I saw in in blogs! Love it! Hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. And I liked your fruit wallpaper too! I loved what you said about growing up poor. Me too! And I feel the same way about my house. I feel like I am living in a mansion compared to where I grew up, but in reality it's just your everyday typical house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, your finished kitchen looks great (in the other post). What kind of paint sprayer did you get? We are looking into getting one I am curious what kind people like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, you did so much work! Kudos to you for getting it all done. Please do tell, what paint and glaze did you use? Did you sand the doors/cabinets before painting? I didn't grow up in mobile/rental homes; my parents owned a modest house, but we lived in a poorer area and money was tight. DH did grow up poor and is still very frugal with his money. 14 years ago we purchased our own brand new home and we were like little kids walking around in a daze. It was our "mansion". Now that I'm retired money is tight again, so Creative Decorating on a Budget is just my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails