Wednesday, October 6, 2010

New Roof!

I must say, I wasn't sure what to expect after the roofers were gone.  Many people have told us what  mess they had from their roofers, how loud and crude the workers can be and how we will be picking up shingles and nails for months.  We have had contractors in the past do work for us occasionally and we are always a little disappointed because others don't treat a job like it is their own house.  However, this is one of the few times that I can actually say we were pleasantly surprised!  Not only did they protect all of our outdoor furniture, windows, plants and shrubs, they also left the place looking better than it did when they arrived!

The yard was raked, and magnetic stick things used to find all nails.  They used a blower on all the sidewalks, driveway, porch and deck.  They then took the hose and sprayed the sidewalks and driveway.  After Mr. Creative got home from work, we both went up on the roof to see straight lines and proper vent covers as well as they fixed a roof line problem that we had since the house was built.  To top it all off, they did it all in 5 1/2 hours!  Even though they had about 13 guys working on it, I still think that is amazing!

Here is a picture of the house this summer.  You can kind of see the curling shingles.  It was in much worse condition than this picture displays.


Here is the after!  We got the architectural shingles and I love the textured look they have.  I am really happy with the color, too.


The shingles I chose had black and gray with some barn red that would match the shutters.  However it is hard to see any red once they are on the roof!!  Here is a zoom shot I took!


I took these pictures yesterday after they left and the shingles hadn't started to smooth out yet.  They already look better this morning and he said it would only take a few days of sunshine this week to flatten them all out.  Luckily we are to have 5 days of upper 70's and sunshine!

Now, maybe I can focus on more projects!!  I made some pillows for my sofa and I found more material to make a few more.  That is the plan for today!!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!!
Bonnie

18 comments:

  1. That looks great! And how awesome that they took such great care! I saw your posts yesterday with all the tarps. I can't believe they actually finished in a day and only 5 1/2 no less! I know people that have taken a lot longer for that! I bet you are super excited about it being done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good, i really like the darker roof. good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, it looks great and I like the color you chose. Ours has a sage in the tiles that you can't see good, too. Love the style shingles you got too. I love the new shingles with the shadows to look textured. That is what we used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, your new roof looks beautiful! It makes the whole house look new. Now you don't have to worry at all when winter hits and the roof takes a beating from the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie, your roof just looks wonderful and I'm so glad it was a good experience for you! I love all of your gorgeous trees framing your house too!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Architectural shingles! We have them on this house and we put them on the house we built! They really make such a difference, don't they! You chose such a wonderful color. I cannot believe all the care that those roofers did with your home! That is excellent. I am so happy for you! Cannot wait to see those new pillow, I still need to do my red ones just can't quite get motivated to do them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking great Bonnie...I like the texture too. How nice they cleaned up and even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'm a new visitor! We recently did a new roof too. I was worried about my garden and the place after the crew left, but we were lucky too. I didn't plant flowers this summer because I thought they would just get trampled, so I am so looking forward to gardening next year. Glad you like the new roof- nice color choice on the shingles! It took me forver to pick a shade- I guess a brown roof is not just a brown roof : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog. I have been following for a while. I have a dilemma today though. I have recently viewed a blog post, made a mental note to go back to it, then forgot which blog I was on. So, my question is have you recently posted a blog about a new rug in your kitchen? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great. The time that we had roofers I was scared when I saw them. They looked like 60's hippies and they even brought their dog with them. They were the nicest guys, very neat and as you said...they cleaned up every bit of their mess. I shouldn't have judged them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello!This was a really terrific website!
    I come from roma, I was fortunate to seek your topic in digg
    Also I obtain much in your Topics really thanks very much i will come every day

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful difference! You are now ready for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new roof is great! We choice a similar design a few years ago and are still given "thumbs up" for the look. Roofers are a tough bunch, but I would be too if I spent my day on a roof in the heat of the summer. Our roof replacement left our yard, etc in tip-top shape and we never have picked up a nail after that job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well girl, I am so glad this "little" project is behind you now and it looks just great!
    So on with all your wonderful decorating for the cooler months of Fall without the worry of being dripped on:)
    Hugs dear friend,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new roof looks great! It really brightens up the whole house! So glad you had a good experience with the roofers. That's a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful experience. It is so nice to find workers that not only do a good job but who care about someone else's property. Your roof looks fabulous. Can't wait to see your pillows. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bonnie, Miss seeing you, and just want you to know I am thinking of you and hoping all is well. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't notice the barn red shingles at first glance. I guess you really have to be up on the roof to be able to see them clearly, LOL! But the subtlety works well, Bonnie. Nice choice of colors! Btw, aren't you planning to put some red accents on your garage door to balance it out?

    - Adam Waterford

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails