Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When Life Hits You Hard...Take a Break!

Well, life has hit us hard.  I wanted to let my blog friends know that they won't be seeing me much for awhile.  I wanted to share our struggles right now and find the humor in it but also God's grace.

As you may know, I became a stay at home mom about 1 1/2 years ago when I volunteered to take a severance package after 20 years at a large banking corporation.  It was scary but Mr. Creative and I had a plan to pay off everything except the house of course and we should be able to make it even though none of the numbers added up!  We feel very strongly about our boys attending catholic school and have sacrificed to send them.  This has been my first real step at having faith and trusting God to provide for us!  I am one to try and tell Him how to run my life!  We have made it without starving, feeling miserable or deprived!

Each month it seems that we can't meet our budget and have had to pull from our savings.  Every year the tax refund and bonus would go into our savings and we would use it to make it through the year.  Well, we have come to that cross road where there isn't going to be enough in the savings to make it through until income tax day! 

The first thing that happened was to this beautiful piece of machinery that we knew nothing about 50 years ago and survived!!! We have 1st and 2nd floor air conditioners/furnaces.  When we turned on the 2nd floor air conditioner at the beginning of summer, it ran forever without getting cool and had ice formed on the outside. So we are barely surviving without it!  A box fan pulling the cool air from the first floor is good enough for our boys who only sleep up there, right???  They don't think so either but they are fine!   My investigative skills on the internet told me it needed freon  but we were afraid to find out what it would cost to fix the leak or to replace one of these!  Pending cost...$200 - $3500  ouch..  Maybe living without it is OKAY!!



For a few years now, the roof shingles have started curling, beginning to leak and now the roof needs to be replaced.  We have fixed any leaks to patch it along until we could save the money for a new roof.  Mr. Creative is capable of replacing it but would rather not since we have a high pitch roof that is 30 feet in the air on the walk out basement side...what were we thinking when we built this house!!  Lowest bid...$8000????


So, we are working on the best and most reasonable way to complete this before the heat of summer is over.  While worrying about that, our 15 year old water softener decided to die and we couldn't afford the price of replacement or repair.  Since our water is so hard and not the best quality, we decided to purchase a used one.  However, we didn't have enough knowledge to know that it had froze in their garage and cracked on the inside.  Long story short, we were able to mix and match what did work between ours and the used one we bought to get it going again.  Cost...$800  After 2 months of Mr.Creative finding the time to change the copper plumbing and saving money to pay Rainsoft to come out and test it, we finally got it all up and running!!  WORTH IT for we now have soft water and my showers are CLEAN!!


THEN....2 days later our well pump went out!!  Yes, the well pump is at the bottom of 350 feet of pipe in our front yard under this wishing well.  Amazing to me that there is free flowing water down underground!!  Not the best picture of the wishing well!!  I have stained it since this picture was taken!!


So they brought out a truck like this, backed it into my front yard and made deep tire marks into the ground...not as bad as it could have been!  Luckily it hasn't rained so the ground was hard.


They pulled the 350 feet of pipe out of the ground to get to this and replace it.  Pretty little thing to cost so much and to be buried so far under ground!  Cost...$2280.01  WORTH IT!!!  It was miserable for two days without water!

Good news, they said it must have been struck by lightening and shorted out so we are able to turn it in on our homeowners insurance for reimbursement of the cost, minus our deductible!  New cost...$1000  I love our new insurance company, Amica.  They were awesome and quick to handle!  We just switched 6 months ago so I was worried since they weren't a well known company here.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND to everyone!

Then our youngest son will turn 16 in 2 days.  We bought the oldest a cheap car when he turned 16.  Do you think the youngest believes he should have a cheap car, too?  Well, of course he does, don't be ridiculous!!!  So now we get to wander through these NICE places in the hopes of finding a decent cheap car.  Proposed cost....$1500


So, you haven't seen me blogging much.  I was laying around here licking my wounds, feeling sorry for myself.  I allowed myself one day for a pity party.  I then got myself up and started praying for God to drop a brick on me with instructions of what path I should follow.  For now, I am spending my blogging time searching and applying for jobs.  It is a whole different world looking for a job now.  Even though I have been working for more than 20 years, I never had to search for a job except internal of the company.  Times are definitely different today!  Everything is on the internet and it is hard to get your foot in the door unless you know someone.  I don't have a degree in accounting so many places dismiss your application immediately.  Seems 28 years of office and accounting experience aren't as good as  2 years with a degree!  Not sure I can compete, but I will try!  If it is His will, the right job will come my way.  If not, He has another plan for us.  Very hard for me to give up control but I am listening!

So keep us in your prayers, don't forget about me and I promise to be back soon!

Bonnie

19 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie- I am so sorry for all that you have had to go through. We have been in those same corners years ago. I ended up going to work-found a job just when I needed it most. You will probably find the same thing-you will be over-qualified for every job you apply for. I finally got in through the "back door" so to speak by working for a temp company...and was hired by the first temp job that I applied for.

    I am praying for you, my dear. What's that old saying? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...yeah...right!!! lol Hang in there, Bonnie! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, as I was reading this post my first thought was, I'm so glad that here in the blogging community we can share ALL aspects of our lives. Not just the fun stuff or the decorating, but the real hard stuff too! It seems like everything always hits all at once and I have never understood that, but I do know that God cares about all of our concerns and wants to us to draw close to Him in these times! I will pray that you can have peace even when everything else is crazy around you!
    Blessings to you,
    Vanessa
    http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie I sure will my friend. When it rains it pours that is for sure. I watch my pennies wisely and best I can, as there is always something that pops up...and to be honest I feel nothing to be secure these days. I would love to get a part time job and been thinking about it for sometime. Best of luck on your job search. Hugs to you XXX000!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers your way! If you had any hail at your house this past summer check with your home insurance about your roof. My in laws had there's replaced. Your story kinda sounds like mine.

    Take care Miss Bonnie!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. when it rains it pours! im sorry for all of your trouble, but i know that you have been blessed in ways we might never know the past 20 yrs. staying home for your children is the BEST THING you could do for them.
    and now you have to get a job? well, i believe (just from reading your blog for awhile) that you have taught your kids well and that they will remember the things your family believes in when put in a situation where they have to make a choice.
    i know the lord will bless you in your job search because of your sacrafice of staying home and not having so many 'things of the world'. HE knows what you did is more important than any job in the real world (and more work too!)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just seems like when it rains it pours. Everything all at once. I know the Lord will provide, it is just hard to wait for his perfect timing. A job will come along and it will be the right one. Have faith and try to remember that prayers are coming your way too. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart. I know things are tough right now and it's hard to see but God has a plan.When things were really going their worst for me on a job another job fell in my lap and it couldn't have been a better fit if I had written the job description myself. I didn't see it then but God was right in the middle of it working things out.Just keep trusting Him. He has a plan for you his child.
    Hugs and prayers, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, you will find another job as you are certainly still well qualified. I know you probably don't really want too, neither do I, but it will come. Both my husband and I have been praying for God to lead me to the right job too. I will pray this for you as well. I am sorry to hear that so much is going on with you financially. As you know we have had our share of financial issues this year too. We also continue to have our share of family health issues this year as well. It is so strange that when trouble comes it comes almost overwhelmingly. Keep focused on God and trust that he will see you through. Visit us when you can and keep us updated. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, that is so much at once. We've had years that seemed like the expenses would never end. I hope that whatever is meant to be, happens quickly. Saying a little prayer for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appears you are currently on the downward slope of the roller coaster. The good news is that there will eventually be an "UP" again. As I haven't had a design job in over a year we are going through a belt tightening ourselves and boy what do you cut when you never drink coffee, eat out, shop alot... I am learning patience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, so sorry to hear you are having problems. Same story all over the place. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yikes, that is a lot going on, and it will definitely be an adjustment going job hunting again. i wish you the very best. it's so unfortunate to have to deal with "money," like, which is better for me to do, get my masters but deplete my savings, or don't go for masters, yet continue to put away pennies? i wish it was simpler, i really do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Bonnie, honey! I hear you about all of those things. Seems like one thing turns right into the next when it comes to home ownership. I will keep you in my prayers. Hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bless your heart. When it rains it pours and it seems to be pouring on you right now. You will find something that is perfect for you. God has crazy plans for us sometimes and it is hard to understand but it all will work out. I will be praying for you and hoping you find something quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear sweet Bonnie, as I mentioned in my email, listen for the whisper...the right door will open my friend. And remember,
    "when it seems hardest to pray, pray hardest".

    I am so praying for you sweetie!
    Hugs,
    Terry
    PS I'm there via email when you have a need, but please just do what you need to right now for you and your family!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like it has been really rough for you recently... I'm sorry. Saying a little prayer for you and your family. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first time to your blog and I can totally relate. Sometimes if it's not one thing it's another. Usually these are the times that strengthen you as a family and like you said focus on what's important. I am hoping the best turns out for you....soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't know if you will see this, but I visited your blog today and read back until I found this.

    I relate so well!!!! I teach part time doing little stints as remedial tutor at the elementary school. It doesn't look, with budget cuts, that I'll be doing that. We have the same house ills pending (well...not all the same, but the roof and some other big ticket things) Plus, we now have two in college. So I am with you and hope for the VERY VERY best job to come your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow Bonnie...I must have missed this post. I am sorry you've had so much to deal with at once. I understand living without and making do. We gave up my second income when the kids came along and it's been a struggle ever since. But God has always been faithful. I will pray for his guidance as you figure out what to do. He will provide...but it sure is hard to see it sometimes isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails