Friday, August 20, 2010

Going Frenchy!!

Happy TGIF everyone!!!  Well, I had to get up early and get those boys off to school this morning!  It is supposed to be 98 today with high humidity so I decided to get out to the garage and do some painting early.  That way I won't be dying this afternoon trying to do it and hopefully it will dry by tonight for a 2nd coat!

I gave you a sneak peek yesterday of what I was working on.  I have decided to try my hand at repurposing furniture deals into cash!  I purchased this set of furniture - french provincial girls set - for $60.  I figure that averages to $20 each which is pretty good.  It wasn't top quality wood furniture but I thought it would be good enough for a start.  Below you see the small dresser, desk, chair and chest of drawers.







I forgot to take pictures before I pulled all the drawers out!  Anyway, you see that is is the typical girls bedroom for French Provincial from the 1970's! I took out all the drawers and removed the hardware.  I soaked the hardware in a mixture of TSP and water then cleaned with a toothbrush. 

I decided that I want to keep the small dresser to use as a night stand in our master bedroom.  I am going to fix up the desk/chair and the chest of drawers to sell separately.  I will give you a little look at the desk/chair later in this post!  Our master bedroom is going to be a steel blue color so I decided to paint it with the wall color and then do a glazing on it.  First I sanded EVERYTHING!  Then I did the priming, using Kilz oil base primer.  Whew...look at that messy garage!


Next was one coat of the steel blue color.  Looking great already!


Once it dried, we carried it into the bedroom where it was COOLER and I began the glazing process using the Valspar mocha glaze and just a hint of dark brown paint mixed in.  First I went around with my trim brush and highlighted all the grooves.  I let it dry some without wiping it off.  I then went back with my brush and added just glaze and then wiped using a cotton rag.


You can see the darker glaze in the grooves and a lighter sweep of glaze elsewhere.  It is all personal preference and you just have to work with it to get the results you want.  The symmetry and matching issues I harbor are being tested with these new processes!!


I painted the hardware pulls and knobs a light coat of Krylon brown gloss.  I did it lightly because I wanted some of the white underneath to show through and give a more aged look.


Here you can see a closer shot of the knobs.  They came out more brown as it is hard to give them a light coat!


A close up of the top showing the glazing and darker glazing on the edges.


 After applying some minwax paste and buffing with a cotton rag, here is a full view of the completed dresser.  I am thrilled with how it turned out!  This piece is perfect because as you can see, our HVAC vent is underneath so I needed a nightstand that was open on the bottom.  I wish my bedroom was painted and all the accessories on display so you can see it in all it's glory, but that will come in time!! 


Now for a sneak peek at the desk and chair that I will hopefully be selling to someone for their little girl!  I decided to paint it a soft white with bubble gum colored chair and hardware! 


Here you can see the material I chose to cover the seat of the chair.  I hope someone will like it enough to buy!!!  I will show more of it tomorrow!!


You can kind of see the chest of drawers in the background.  I am painting it black with satin nickel hardware!  What do you think so far????

I am linking to the following parties!!  Make sure to stop by and see all the great links!

Debbiedoos for her garage salen party!
My Romantic Home for

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating for



Remodelaholic for




Frugalicious Friday over at


Decor Mamma


Mustard Seed Creations for Furniture Feature Friday!
Furniture Feature Fridays

Thank you so much for coming by my little blog.  I am humbled at your sweet comments and hope you come back again!!  Have a great day!
Bonnie

20 comments:

  1. Those look great! I've been looking for a set like this to redo also. How much are you thinking of selling them for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking you know what you are doing Bonnie! I love the hot pink chair too...great fabric choice. Have fun and thanks for joining in!!~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out great, Bonnie. Love the pink chair and that is cute fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it! Great job! Some young lady is going to just adore it!
    Vanessa
    http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Love all of the pieces. Where are you going to sell your finished pieces?
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color you chose for the little chest! That blue is dreamy! I think the pink will be darling! Can't wait to see the finished piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh That HOT PINK is too cute. Any litle girl or teenage girl should like that. Don't be suprised if someone buys it and then says I am going to repaint it. That happens to me.I love it already.

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by, the dresser is darling, I cannot wait to see the desk and pink chair all finished!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find and a fantastic job....wow that hot pink is so much fun too....really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dresser turned out incredible!! It's gorgeous. I want a chest just like that for my nightstand. Like minds :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very,very cute! I like the piece you did for your bedroom so much! It is wonderful! I can't wait to hear how it goes with the other pieces, and for how much. Where do you plan to sell this? That's got me too curious. Thanks for all your sweet comments today! I know you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girlfriend... that is awesome!!!!! I mean really awesome! If we hadn't just bought Jemma's furniture, I would so buy that from you!!! So cute! You have found your calling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful! I love the pink!

    Enjoy!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look really good. I love the nightstand and those colors. The desk & chair is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented, Bonnie. These furniture all look great after you refinished them...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this kind of furniture. My favorite. I just finished painting my pieces for my bedroom. I had it as a little girl too and I always loved it. I love how you painted your handles hot pink. So cute! Thank you for stopping by with the sweet comments about my guest room re-do for my friend. I'm going to go check out your older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great job! And what a wonderful tutorial, too.

    That looks just like my first bedroom set, sweet memories. :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job on the transformations, Bonnie. Like your choice of colors. That hot pink is really sweet! And the glazed blue is so pretty. Visiting from Debbie's party. ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a deal you got on the furniture. It looks great! My Beloved got me a dresser and mirror in this style a few years ago. Finally this year I decided what to do with it. I posted my process a few months ago and love the way it turned out. Stop by to see if you have time. You have to check the archives it was early this spring when I did the post.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how the dresser turned out! Great color and finish!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails