Sunday, August 22, 2010

For Sale: Little Girls Dream Desk???

I hope that is what someone thinks when they see this pretty set!  This is the last installment of the French Provincial bedroom pieces that I just made over to sell.  I originally thought I would paint them all to go together but decided that I might have better luck selling them individually.

First I would like to thank all of you for the encouraging words on this new venture of painting and selling furniture!  You have all been so kind and wonderful with ideas and information for me!  I will probably put them on Craigslist later this week once I can figure out a way to stage them where they look better than being in the garage.  I was thinking of a sheet hanging down behind and on the floor underneath.  We'll see what I come up with!


As you have seen before, here is the before of this cute little desk and chair.  Your typical 1970's French Provincial set.  It isn't made of nice wood but I thought for the price it was a good start for my venture!  I had to tighten down screws on the legs and add a few nails with my nailer to make sure everything stays tight.


This is the chair that goes with it.  Everything was in good shape, just needed a little cleaning from sitting in a garage.  The owner had covered the seat to match her daughter's bedding.  I tore that off to cover with some matching fabric I purchased at Hobby Lobby on sale!!


I removed the hardware, cleaned everything with TSP and water, then started the sanding process!  I wiped it down with a damp rag, let dry and then put on 2 coats of Kilz oil base primer.  I sanded in between each coat.


While that was drying, I got out the Krylon Watermellon gloss spray paint.  I think it should be called bubble gum color but what do I know!  I chose this cute little fabric that matched the paint to go on the seat.  After removing the seat, I painted the chair, giving it a several light coats to cover all the nicks and crannys!!  I also sprayed all the hardware but forgot to take a picture!!



Now it was time to paint the desk.  I only use Kilz Colors paint now that I have found it to be the best out there.  I have used it on our walls.  If you apply it properly, one coat is all that is needed unless it is a dark color.  I did the red in my home in only 2 coats.  For the price and the coverage, Valspar and Behr can't compare.  I have used many other brands as well and they just can't match it.  You can buy Kilz Colors and have ANY color mixed at Walmart for about $22.  They have a computer to match any swatch if you can't find a color on their various paint chips.  Okay...it sounds like I am a sponsor but unfortunately, I'm not!! 

I chose an offwhite color for the desk.  It is Kilz #J70 and called Shaved Coconut.  It was on the warmer side of the whites and isn't as harsh as pure or cool white.  I put on two coats because I think furniture needs two coats to make a better finish.  Of course, I forgot to take a picture after I painted it!!  Not a very good blogger at times!!  I get so excited!  I gave it two coats of water based poly in a satin finish because I figured it is going to get more abuse than a dresser.  Here you see it next to the chair with the hardware on. 


Here is a close up of the hardware.  I just love it!!


Here is another shot of the upholstered seat.  Isn't that fabric just adorable!  I love the neumatic staple/nail gun that Mr. Creative got me for Christmas!!


I so enjoyed doing this piece since I don't have any little girls to make things pretty!!  My boys wouldn't appreciate any pink in the house!!  I have an average of $30 invested in each piece.  I am thinking of listing this set for $125.  I don't know if that is too much but figured I can always come down.  I just think it is so adorable that someone would want to buy it for their little girl.  I will keep you posted!

Here is a snapshot of the other two pieces that I made over this week and you can read about HERE and HERE!

BEFORE!


AFTER!


BEFORE!
AFTER!


I am linking to Between Naps on the Porch for Metamophosis Monday!





House of Grace for Twice Owned Tuesday!



HOG


Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday!
http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

Perfectly Imperfect for Style Feature Saturday!
Photobucket

Thank you to everyone that has stopped by and/or made comments!  I am so enjoying this journey with my blog and you have made it so much more fun!  I have met some great people that we have so much in common.  Have a great day!!
Bonnie

29 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO!!! What a beautiful transformation!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little girls dream desk??? How about a big girls dream desk!!! Wow, you did an awesome job! I definitely think someone will jump on that for $125!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your desk will be perfect in a little girls room. We all know ow they love pink. I can't wait to see how this goes for you...I hope you'll keep us updated as you sell your pieces.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should sell fast. You did a great job!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. bonnie, that all looks amazing! way to go, and that would be a dream desk if there ever was one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Bonnie those are just gorgeous!!~ You girl are going to have NO problem selling these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie-You did a wonderful job...Love the pink polka dot material with the chair-a perfect match~ I'll bet you kind of hate to part with them, don't you? Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such cute furniture for a little girl! You did such a good job and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks great....I know you have to start somewhere but by the time you add all your materials and your time..I'm thinking you should charge a little more...at first anyway...you can always come down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie is right... you should have no problem selling these pieces! I love that desk! I am so proud of you for setting off on this new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT do-overs on these classic chests. Both my daughters had a mish-mash of this set of bedroom furniture. Both just LOVED them :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the sweetest desk and chair! You did a beautiful job. That will get snatched up quickly. How fun that pink hardware is and the chair is so adorable. $125 is a steal for that set! Very chic set!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! that looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these old french bedroom sets. You did a wonderful transformation on them! I found a tall french dresser and nightstand for my daughters room...we went all white on ours...love them. I am also glad to know that Kilz paint is so good for coverage...thanks for the hint. Come say hi sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Bonnie, this is just adorable! I wish I could come buy this, its just darling! I'd have this in my little blogging room!
    You are so talented girl!
    Hugs,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Everything looks gorgeous. I just love makeovers like this...they are so inspiring - re-purpose quality and you have quality plus! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great transformation - the white and pink is super fun! I just love the hardware on the desk...$125 sounds like a great price.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is my childhood furniture from when I was about 8 years old. Oh what good memories. It all looks beautiful Bonnie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet the desk sells, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Bonnie, that looks amazing. What a change.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bonnie, I have a desk almost just like this one. I'm about to move it into my "big girls" room. This gives me such great inspiration for a makeover. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I love this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love how the black and white one came out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These pieces look great, Bonnie! Love that watermelon color! I bought a Berry color myself when I was at Home Depot last trip. I couldn't stop looking at it while searching for my basic black and Heirloom White so I just caved and bought a can. I have no idea what I'm going to use it on, but I am sure I'll find something! : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for the kind words about my creative talent. I can see you are CREATIVE yourself! I love love love the scrolled pink handles! Another Blogger suggested the same thing to me about making my own bed. Im seriously considering it at this point. I could spend $1500 on many other things. Thanks again for sharing. I am now following you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the pink handles on the dresser that match the chair. So cute for any little girl to dream about.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful Bonnie. $125. is more than fair. You spent hours making this beautiful. Love everything you did.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE IT!! I wish I had a little girl so I could buy it!! I'm with you on the color. It should definitely be Bubble Gum. I always thought Watermelon was more red than pink.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The desk is adorable! And the chair just pops! The night stand and the black chest of drawers are awesome too. Isn't it amazing what the power of paint can do? Terry

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi I was wondering how you remove the drawer handles? I have the same exact desk !

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails