Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dresser/Sofa Table Makeover!

I finally finished this dresser last night.  I have had so many projects going on all at once and nothing seems to be getting completed!


Let's go back to where we started!  There were these pictures from CraigsList of an old triple dresser for $15!



I could see some potential for the poor thing that was sitting in a garage for years holding junk!



So I stripped the layers of grime and varnish off of the top of her. Lots and lots of sanding before two coats of dark stain.  I cleaned the rest with paint thinner and then gave her a good priming (oil base Kilz primer)! 


Same thing to the drawers.  They were a little harder to paint with all the rounded edges and scroll work.


I bought plain knobs for the top drawers and spray painted the rest of the hardware and knobs a dark brown.


From there she got a couple coats of Kilz Colors beige paint.  I can't remember the name but it is what we used to paint our basement den!  Never throw paint away!  I sanded to give her that abused distressed look and started glazing.


I think the drawers came out great.  I added a little brown paint to the mocha glaze just for the grooves and used an angled bristle brush.  It was easier to stay in just the grooves.  The paint made the grooves a little darker and less transparent.  I then brushed on just glaze and rubbed it back off with a lint free rag.


After two coats of satin polyurethane on the top, it is smooth and well protected!  I also gave the painted portion some Minwax paste wax to protect the finish.  It won't get a lot of use so I think that should hold up pretty good.  If it was a heavily used piece, I would have done the water based satin polyurethane.


I lined the drawers with contact paper because I needed them to be smooth and clean for what was going into the drawers!


All my pictures!!  I have all my pictures sorted by date and in photo boxes.  Someday they will all have information written on them.  That is a project for another WEEK!  They were all in a closet that I really needed for excess pantry storage.  More on that later!  They all fit well and I have a couple of top drawers still empty!


So what do you think?  I accessorized with my makeover lamps that you can read about HERE, some pictures, a very old nut bowl that was my parents and of course the raccoon hide from my father in law!  This is a house of hunters so please understand that they have to be represented in my decorating, too!!!  My FIL is going to give me some small antlers from his stash to put in the bowl.



I just love how it turned out.  Much better than I thought it would while I was working on it in the 100 degree heat in the garage!!  I think the humidity was 90%!!!

I am linking to Perfectly Imperfect for Style Feature Saturday!
Photobucket

I am linking to The Pumpkin Patch for Transform Tuesday and Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday!




 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

Mary from Sailing Simply has talked me into linking my vignette on the dresser to Table Top Tuesday at a Stroll Thru Life!


Mustard Seed Creations for Furniture Feature Friday!
Furniture Feature Fridays

Have a great day!

Bonnie

22 comments:

  1. Wow Bonnie! That is one amazing transformation. You totally brought out all of the gorgeous detail with the glazing. I'm in love!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still doing my rounds of the rooster party. I seen that you had came to my blog and want to make sure to go to gals that have stopped by first. I am so jealous of this dresser make over. I have 3 of them that are just sitting around waiting to get done. But, I need to paint the bedroom first.lol
    I think you did such an awesome job. You must feel so good looking at it all done. Keep coming by my blog as I have lots of contest coming up. Kath' from www.lilbitoldlilbitnew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Bonnie, I am so impressed!! That piece turned out fantastic! I keep using the 100 degree weather and the high humidity as an excuse not to work on painting my furniture. You've put me to shame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and it is beautiful.
    You also did a wonderful job on your dresser:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dresser turned out so good. Lots of detail.

    It's a great place to store photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie this looks great! I love the colors you used on this piece so much! I think all your accessories look just wonderful too, you certainly should join the tabletop party with this post! You are there girl! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it was a lot of work...but, so worth it! It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, the dresser turned out just fabulous. I love that you left the top stained, and your glazed finish on the rest is wonderful. Your table top vignette is super. The lamps are perfect and the bowl and skin give it some unexpected character. I am so thrilled you joined TTT. I think you did a fabulous job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job, Bonnie. The glazing looks great. Makes all those designs on the drawers stand out. I am starting more projects, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Bonnie! It looks amazing!!!! you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie this is AMAZING! What a fantastic redo! I love your drawer lining. And I love that you decided to paint the hardware instead of buy new -- it totally goes with everything. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific transformation, Bonnie. It looks new now and I can't believe you got it for $15. The distressing looks very nice.....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie-That looks absolutely wonderful! WHAT a transformation. I can't believe that you were out there painting in that heat and humidity...well, I can believe you did it but I can't believe that the paint dried! I ended up cleaning our garage today too...at least the part closest to the entrance door. Thought I was gonna melt into a puddle of sweat before I got it done. UGH...Kudos to you for staying with that in this heat! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Checking out your makeover featured on the DIY show off. I LOVE this! Now I want to find one for behind my couch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dresser looks fabulous! And congrats on it being showcased. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a huge project! Fantastic job, it looks really updated now! Love the distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. bonnie this looks great!! i love the finish you gave it and the wood top. the contrast of the top ties in nicely with the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  18. GREAT transformation! That is a FABULOUS looking piece!! LOVE it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely!! The touch of paint in the grooves was a good decision...the finish is beautiful! And $15??? WOW! Thanks so much for linking up to Style Feature Saturday! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Smokes!!! It looks amazing! Sorry I wasn't able to admire your work last week. I was out of town. Thanks for linking to Transform Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks fabulous! I have my eye out on craigslist for a similar piece to transform for under the stairs in my hallway. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails