Thursday, July 1, 2010

4th of July in St. Louis

As many of you know, we will be camping until next week so you won't see much blogging from me! I wanted to take you sight seeing here in St. Louis so you can enjoy yourself while I am gone! This is just a few of the many sights to see! Pictures are from various sources and not mine!

First up, everyone recognizes St. Louis because of the Arch. This is an amazing structural piece that is the tallest national monument at 630 feet which is also the span of the legs at the bottom. The Arch sways a maximum of 18" (9" each way) in a 150 mph wind. The usual sway is 1/2". When you are inside at the top on a windy day, you can definitely feel it!


You can also see the top of the Old Courthouse and fireworks of course for the 4th of July! The courthouse was the scene of many rallies, speeches and several important trials, including the suit by Dred Scott for freedom from slavery and Suffragist Virginia Louisa Minor for the right to vote.


This next landmark I find to be the most beautiful. It is the historic Fox Theatre. William Fox of Fox Films, opened his theatre in 1929 after building it for just over $1MM. He lost everything in the great Stock Market Crash. It barely survived by being used for Kung Fu movies and concerts until it closed in 1978. 52 years after it was built, Leon and Mary Strauss restored it to it's glory for a little over $2MM! It is the most gorgeous building that pictures can not do justice!



This is a view if you were standing on the stage looking out! Gorgeous!


It wouldn't be St. Louis without those Cardinals and Busch Stadium. St. Louis is a baseball town and we love our Cardinals. The new stadium is wonderful, not sure it was worth all the money, but you can see well from every seat in the stadium! Look at the sea of RED! Go CARDS!


When I think of Cardinals, I think of Budweiser and the home of Anheuser Busch (we won't talk about the buyout by InBev). That leads me to my favorite, the Clydesdale! What a gorgeous horse! They stable them at Grant's Farm and these animals are so HUGE!


Here they are in all their beautiful glory pulling the Budweiser wagon!



Grant's Farm is 80 acres that Ulysses S. Grant and his new bride, Julia Dent, received from her family just southwest of St. Louis as a wedding gift. He built this cabin for his bride by himself.


I will end the tour with a view of the skyline from the Mississippi River. For those of us that grew up around here, that would be
"M I crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, hump back, hump back, I!!!"
Sorry, some memories are just funny to me!! We would sing that in elementary school.


I hope you enjoyed the tour. I want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July! I will see you next week! Remember to thank our military for continuing our independence for this great country!

16 comments:

  1. wowzers, i am so glad you showed a picture of the inside of that venue. it really is amazing! they just redid the chandelier in ours, i forget for how much. i shoulda posted that pic. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun camping. Great pics of your fair city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, hey sweets! Thank you for stopping by and cruising around!I am actually taking my son to st louis this weekend to meet up with his dad! He is super excited and so am I, its my yearly break to revamp my mommy energy! Thank you for sharing the sights of St louis! Have fun and blessings,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures!! We had a Fox Theater that was stunning like the one above in Detroit. We saw the Rockettes there for Christmas and I was more amazed by the beauty of the theater! Hope you have a wonderful time. We are headed to Myrtle Beach to hang with the family! Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pictures! I just found your blog & can't wait to browse around! I'm your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love St Louis! I asked my daughters if they would rather go to Branson or St Louis this fall and they picked St L. I was really surprised, but they know a good vacation when they see one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bonnie girl! This is so amazing...so I'll be there next week for a visit:)
    I've always know about the arch but have never really known about its importance in history. And oh my how I would love to see those darling "little" horses! I must come to visit you someday, but I'm afraid you and I with our love of budget shopping and decorating we could get in big trouble together:)
    Have a great 4th dear friend!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Bonnie how beautiful! Love the festive photos.

    Thank you very much for your kind words on my weight loss and new haircut. I feel wonderful! I'm grateful. YES! I am off the B/P meds as of this past March. Hooray!

    Happy 4th and camping! ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie. I live over in Arnold, MO. It's nice to meet someone in blogland so close to me. Come by for a visit to my blog. I'm your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the tour! Thanks for sharing! Have a Happy 4th!!

    T.bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your patriotic spirit. It is red, white and bluetiful!

    Thank you so very much for your support of Team Laura. Could you email me your address?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That theater is amazing. I have always wanted to go to St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bonnie! I came here from Debbie Doos. I just love that vintage scale! Hope you are enjoying your trip!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for checking out my metal box Bonnie. I bought it at Kirklands and it has a yellow scroll design on it. It looks vintage in style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are those your pics??? Awesome!!!! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Bonnie...for the button code...you sure did not have to rush on that my friend. Glad you are home safe and sound...now back to the real world...BLOGGING....lol!!~

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails