Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Three Men in My Life - A Father's Day Special

Over the years, there have been three special men in my life that I would like to honor this Father's Day. The first of course would be my own father. Please excuse the pictures of pictures. I don't have a scanner!

My father was born in 1920 and grew up in Illinois very poor. Many of you have seen this picture of my dad when he was 3 from my powder room reveal that is located HERE.


He grew up in a Catholic family and here he is for his first communion. Look at that outfit!!!


He was called to serve in WWII as a truck driver. I thought he looked very handsome in his uniform!


You know how after the war, it really affected our soldiers and my father was no exception. He ended up married a few times before he met my mother. By then they were much older and had me when he was 45. I was his pride and joy! BAD picture of me but shows how much he adored me! I have always called him "Daddy". Look at that 1960's furniture! UGH!


But this is how I remember him best. With a crew cut and those horned rim glasses! My daddy was a quiet man until he had a few beers. Then he was just funny with all kinds of sayings that he would get backwards!! That is my mama in her day. Big difference from now. I miss THIS mama!


Daddy passed on at age 67 when I was only 21 years old. I miss him terribly. No matter how dysfunctional our family was, the one thing I always knew even without him telling me much is that he loved and adored me. I know that is what made the difference in my NOT being another statistic of an alcoholic family. I miss you Daddy!

The 2nd but greatest man in my life is my honey, Kenny. This guy has been my rock for so long. I thank God for bringing us together and blessing our life. He balances my anxiousness with his laid back attitude. He levels out my GRAND ideas about this and that! I have known him since I was 5 and we didn't start dating until I was about 22 and he was 27. We married 3 years later and had these wonderful boys. He is fishing this morning which he enjoys and we will do whatever he wants today!! I am sure that includes a meatloaf for dinner!



The last but not least greatest man in my life is my father in law. Obviously I have known him since I was 5 as well. He is a very grounded man that has a love for the Lord and a peace about him. He also loves to tease and get people all worked up!! Here is a 3 generation picture that we had taken at Christmas.


You see, about a 1 1/2 years ago, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer. Yes, the kind that is caused from asbestos and you see lawyers on television talking about it. Anyway, he has never smoked and barely drank any alcohol all his life. He is a stubborn German who is strong as an ox and we feel because of this, he has been able to withstand the chemo very well. Some tumors have disappeared and others have reduced 30%. He hasn't had any chemo since before this picture was taken and they continue to monitor him every 6 weeks. There has been no change. We are enjoying this break that has been given to him and appreciate it.

I would like to say Happy Father's Day to all the men in your lives as well as mine!! Enjoy this day the Lord has made!!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful touching post Bonnie...you have been very pleased to have Three special Men be part of your life. Enjoy your hubs today!!~ I laughed at the stubborn German post...my husband is German 100 percent...I know all about stubborn and strong as an OX, I wish your FIL the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. Thanks for the kind comments on my blog & thanks for following! I am now following you too!

    ~Lori@live,laugh,love,create :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your father's day tribute to your special guys. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing -- a beautiful and tender story about three generations -- and I love your photo's you posted --- a wonderful tribute to all the men in your life very thoughtful and caring thing for you to honor them on your blog today.

    Enjoy your day,
    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet and thoughtful post. I love all the pictures and memories. Hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi girlfriend! I love this post and just now got around to seeing it, life has been a bit on the crazy side these past couple weeks.

    Your family, hubby, son, father and father in law are just adorable and i must say, you are cute as a button and prettier than your profile photo shows.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Terry
    PS I call my dad, "daddy" too!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails