Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dining Room Tour - In Progress

I thought it was time to reveal another room in my home. This one has been a work in progress for so long. I am struggling with things that just aren't right to me! Obviously, since I'm not an experienced designer, it takes more for me to get it "right"! With no money, I am so limited to what I can do but here it goes!!

It all started with a little rug I found on ebay that had roosters on it! I ended up paying $160 for it with shipping which is more than I would normally pay for most things but a rooster rug at that price and 8x10 size is hard to find!! I LOVE it!



My formal dining room is to the right of my foyer when you come in the front door. I purchased this dining table and chairs for $50 on CL. It was the creamy yellow flecked finish with green velvet seats! I took the seats apart and spray painted the chairs black as well as the base of the table. Sorry, no before picture! Long before I started blogging!


I thought I could refinish the table top but once I started sanding I realized that even though it is wood, it is cheap wood with a wood look finish to it. So after trying some stain on it, I realize that I need to light sand it again and just use some poly on it. Either that or I am going to have to paint it. The picture doesn't show the streaks on it.

I found this fabric on sale at JoAnn's and recovered the seats. Since it is outdoor fabric, it has been great for any spills that happen with kids!


Love roosters!!! He sits proudly in the middle of the table!! At least he doesn't crow at all hours like the neighbor's real ones!


To the right we have my cabinet that I refinished and just LOVE with the GoodWill lamp I bought!!! To see the cabinet makeover, click HERE. The prints above were made by my mom when she was 7 years old for her parents. So that would make them about 75 years old now!


If you have seen these curtains somewhere, it would be over at Savvy Southern Style because Kim has them in her dining room. I just loved the fabric as it had the colors I wanted plus the french country feel I was going for in here! I found the fabric for $4 a yard and bought all they had to make the panels. Wish they were higher and I may get clips so I can raise them further.


Here we have the thorn in my side!! My hubby bought this china cabinet for me for $20 as it had some water damaged. It started out the Early American dark brown. So I painted it off white when I had the room yellow and I added the chicken wire. Well, my honey added the wire!! Once I painted the room dark, it looked terrible!!
So I did this faux treatment on it which looks good with the table top but it still isn't the look I wanted. So I think I am going to paint it black with the red distressing underneath. In time....


However, Kim encouraged me to do the toile wallpaper inside which I just love and that will stay!


The Currier & Ives dishes were from my grandma. She called them the poor man's china as they got them in pieces at the grocery store!! I love them as they remind me of her and they tell a story! The platter in the middle was my mom's as it was made the year she was born, 1927!

Bought these prints on clearance at Hancock Fabrics for $15 TOTAL and put them on each side of the china cabinet with a chair underneath!! I also made the pillows from a panel I purchased on ebay for $4!! I do like my roosters!!


The walls have a textured paintable wallpaper on the bottom half with a tan color and the top is close to a barn red. I almost think the bottom needs to be a little darker. Just not sure but it isn't sitting right with me...

On the other side of the room is the mirror I bought from Hobby Lobby for $20 with a few plates accenting it. You can see into our foyer and for that tour, click HERE.



This gives you a view into my poor kitchen. Sad, sad, little room! Once I finish the family room, the kitchen is next for an overhaul. It used to have fruit and floral wallpaper with dark mauve counter tops that I just loved no matter how 1980's it looked!! However, when we thought about selling, we had to tone it down some. Then the market fell and it didn't sell so I am stuck with the most boring kitchen ever!!! In time...



Well, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love any comments or ideas you might have to help improve my space as long as it doesn't cost much money!!!!

I am linking up with the following parties! Please stop by and see the other great makeovers and decorating ideas!
Domestically Speaking for



Coastal Charm for
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
Reinvented for


The Pumpkin Patch for





8 comments:

  1. Bonnie your dining room has come a long way since I first saw it on RMS. I recall it has been a room you have always struggled with. But I must say you pulled it together just beautifully...warm, cozy and very inviting. Great place for family get togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have put so much heart and soul into this room to make it yours. It is so pretty with so many great stories and memories.

    I think the hutch would be beautiful in black, but your finish on it right now is amazing! You are one talented lady! What if you painted under the chair rail the same khaki color that is on the chair cushion? That would darken it up a bit for you.

    I love the curtains! There are so rich looking!

    Can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I'm adding you as well. Looks like we enjoy some of the same kinds of things. I like your blue dishes and the way they are displayed. And I love love love your curtains and your dining room. I know you said you bought all the fabric they had when you made your curtains, but can you share the name of the fabric. It's perfect in your room and I think I could make it work as well maybe for a pillow or bench cushion if nothing else. Thanks and glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie I was thinking the same as Kathryn, match the wall khaki more to your chair khaki. Your chair seems to have a warmer khaki tone where your wall is a cooler khaki tone. That should cozy it up and do it for you! Your cabinet is pretty as is but would look lovely in black too! Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dining room. Very warm and inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beaufiful dining room. I agree with the other commenters that painting below the chair rail to match the khaki of the chair would really pull it together. I also think painting the cabinet black would look really great.

    Thanks for linking to Transform Tuesday! I look forward to your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the roosters! Thanks for the nice comments on mine... you have a new follower as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice colors.. it's very warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails