Friday, May 21, 2010

Taco Salad - My Boys' Favorite



This is a very simple recipe that learned from my high school best friend's mother-in-law. I lived in Texas for about 10 years and the food is much different than here in the Midwest.

I don't remember ever having it written down but I watched her make it many times during my teenage years and I loved it. Enjoy!

1lb Ground Beef
1/2 Onion Chopped Small
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 small can Sliced Black Olives
1/2 Cup French Dressing (we used Catalina for years until they changed their recipe)
1/2 Cup Water
2 T Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Salt

Tortilla Chips
Shredded Lettuce
Sour Cream (the boys use ranch dressing)
Tomatoes
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Brown hamburger and onion.





Add kidney beans, black olives, dressing, water, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.


Edit Note: I had to add this as I had a comment that struck me as funny about the beans!! I actually hold off on the beans, just use the juice and the other ingridients, stir and put some off into a separate pot for my oldest son as he won't eat it with beans! Then I add the beans to ours and cook both the same from there! You have to LOVE those picky eaters!






Assemble in any order you wish but here is how we do it!
Crumble tortilla chips, add meat mixture, add sour cream or ranch dressing and stir to mix together. Add lettuce, tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
Enjoy!!

I am linking up to Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum! Check out lots of great recipes!

5 comments:

  1. I love taco salads. One of my very favorite foods, especially in the summer.

    I found big shell forms at Ross for about $3 or $4 and put a touch of olive oil and bake them. They crisp up to form a great bowl. I felt like I'd scored a million dollars when I found that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taco Salad - a staple recipe in our home!! Although I have to do two things of meat - one with beans, and one without...my husbands doesn't do beans! LOVE taco salad!!

    ~angela @ peonypatch
    www.mccalled.com/peonypatch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh because I actually hold off on the beans (just use the juice) and pull some off into a separate pot for my son as he won't eat it with beans! Then I add the beans to ours and cook both the same from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try this for a long time. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails