Wednesday, May 12, 2010

GoodWill Treasure Hunting!!

We are getting severe storms here in Missouri. I have been awake since 3:45 as the lightening, thunder and rain were just pounding around the house. Our low water bridge is full and now we are waiting for round 2 this morning! I hear the thunder now!!

I had to go out of town for a couple days so now I am a little behind in my posting!!! I had this post saved and thought I would bring it out today to "fill in" between posting!


Here are a few things I found at the GoodWill store! I didn't think they were very attractive either but I have such high hopes for each one of them! The grinders were $1 each, the container was $2 and the silver thingy was $3. I think I will work on those gross salt and pepper grinders!!


First I WASHED them!! They were gross. I am still shocked that I bought them but hey, for $2 total, I can throw them away if they don't turn out very good!! After washing and letting them dry, I got out the sand paper and sanded the areas that were worn and to smooth out the edges. I gave the rest of it a light sanding just to rough them up some.

Then I broke out the acrylic paint in a barn red color. Painted them with two coats. After I let them dry, I hit them with two coats of spray gloss polyurethane. I wanted them to be tough and able to handle a lot of work in the kitchen!! I spray painted the top nut with black Krylon paint I had and added a little metalic glaze just to make it look like metal.



Don't they look FANTASTIC???????? So for very little money I have a set of salt and pepper grinders that would have cost me at least $20 and wouldn't have matched my kitchen so perfectly! Of course, that would be if my kitchen was done!! However, they will look awesome in there...eventually!!!

Stay tuned for the results of my other two items!!!

I think this project qualifies for Trash to Treasure over at Reinvented!!! Check out the other "treasures" posted!

10 comments:

  1. Loving those! ANd love the color you painted them! Great find Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift store shopping, you never know what you might find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new barn red color, they turned out great. New follower, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, they look perfect. Love the red. A lot of those grinders cost a lot more than $20 a piece.So you did good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bonnie,
    (love your name) I also love the goodwill! Great job and thanks for stopping by!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...what a transformation on the salt and pepper grinders!! I've never had a set...always thought they were too expensive!
    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did good thrifting! I love the salt and pepper shakers now in the red. Pretty, pretty. Our thrifts are very high priced so I stick to yard sales in the summer and have withdrawel in the winter. :-)

    Thank you for visiting junkblossoms. We hope you'll be back soon. Blessings, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie,, thank you so much for your visit today... and for your kind words about my 'really expensive table'..

    Let me stay a while and read some of your blog!

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this makeover! What a great buy they turned out to be! I love your blog and very curious to see what project(s) you have in the works or have completed. Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I am in love with those! You are so GOOD! Girl, those would cost you a lot more than $20 at Williams Sonoma and yours are so much prettier!

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails