Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Birth of my First Blog!!!!!

On a whim, I decided to continue clicking along and now it seems I have a blog. Not sure what all I am going to do with it but I think it could be a lot of fun! I hope to show decorating and thrifty makeovers that I come up with as well as other things that mean a lot to me, like God, family and cooking!

I used to post my decorating pictures on Rate my Space but found that the people could be so critical. I think I got my feelings hurt! My home is lived in and a continuous work in progress. With limited funds, there is only so much I can do but I do try to make it look as good as possible!! I have been inspired by so many of you here in the blog world. There is so much talent being shared out there! I have learned a lot and been able to adapt many ideas to create things of my own. Not sure I have that many NEW ideas but I am trying!! I always will give credit to those I have learned from along the way.

To give you a quick background of myself, I grew up in a loving but alcoholic family. There is a lot of dysfunction in the family but with God's help, I have tried to rise above it and break the cycle with my husband and children.

I am married to my childhood sweetheart, Kenny. We have been married 19 years. Please forgive the picture of a picture but I don't have a scanner! Also, can you tell it was 1991 with that hair style and veil?????? I also made the dress from two patterns and I am still impressed with myself about that!!

We have two wonderful teenage boys, Jesse and Tyler. They are both attending Catholic high school as a Junior and a Freshman. We are very proud of them both!



We purchased 14 acres on a hillside here in Missouri 20 years ago. About 5 years after purchasing, my honey and I built our home. Well, he built it and I just painted and decorated! It was the longest year of our life! We had a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old when he started and he pretty much missed most of their growing up that year. This picture was from the Christmas during the time we were building. I could just pinch their cheeks right now!!!

This definitely wasn't his trade but it seems in my eyes he can do anything when he puts his mind to it! Pretty much the only thing he didn't do was the framing of the house (which now he wishes he would have done) and the concrete work. This was definitely the only way we could have this beautiful house and even then, we were extremely over extended and are still paying for that mistake today! We were able to do it all for under $140K but that still makes for a large house payment when you are on one income or one is working part time as I did when the boys were small.

We do a lot of camping and boating in the summer. I still can't believe this city girl used to camp in a tent with babies! We did it and have great memories both good and bad of torrential rains!! We now have a used 5th wheel camper and about 11 years ago we bought a new pontoon boat. Greatest purchase we made! My husband LOVES to fish and hunt so the outdoors is pretty much part of our life. The boys have been swimming in the lakes since they were 6 months old and love it. Both can ski on one ski now that they are teenagers! We spend a lot of time with my husband's family as they all camp/fish/hunt as well.

My friends and family also know that I just ADORE Dierks Bentley. For those of you who don't know who that is, he is a country music singer.

I have probably gone to about 25 of his concerts over the last 5 years and have met him many times. Look at that cheesey picture!!! He is one of the good guys that has his priorities in order with faith and his beautiful wife and daughter. I have met some really nice people that I call friends because of him. So if I can figure out how to get music to play on my blog, you will get to hear some of his music!!!

So now that I am unemployed, I have time to remodel and decorate but NO money!!! So I have become pretty creative in my ideas! My family and friends have encouraged me to show my ideas to others. I try to tell them that my decorating and ideas are no where near as great as what I have seen out here on your blogs but they said it doesn't matter. It is my own and they like it. So do I!!

So thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to read my post and I hope that you enjoy some of it along the way! Here is my happy family as they look today!!

8 comments:

  1. Bonnie, welcome to blog land. You did it girl. Great post and you building your house yourselves is just like our story. Beautiful family and I look forward to many more posts from you. I am up to my eyeballs in yellow paint right now. You got this blog thing fast. Now to go add myself as a follower!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my first follower, Kim!! How appropriate since you got me started!! Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome aboard Bonnie! You will Love it indeed! It is so much fun, and I can't believe how beautiful your page looks on the first day! Mine underwent so many changes! WHat a beautiful family and great story on your house. I look forward to more Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Debbie for stopping by and following me!! This is so new to me and I have been working on this page for two months now. Just finally decided this was it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie. Welcome to the world of blogging. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. I had to laugh about your comment regarding RMS. I've seen some horrendous rooms on RMS with high ratings and conversely some gorgeous rooms with mixed reviews. I think RMS users tend toward a certain style and those who have a more eclectic style don't fit in so well.

    Anyhow, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know I'm your newest follower. I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bonnie!! Welcome to the world of blogging! Your page looks great! I also grew up with a mother who was an alcoholic and it does make you know that you want your life a different way, doesn't it?

    I remember you on RMS! I was fortunate to have positive things on there, but saw so many rude and hateful comments that didn't need to be there. Blogging is so much kinder!! Glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bonnie,
    I'm so glad you have created your own space in the blogosphere! I'm looking forward to seeing all your ideas and what you've created so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know the feeling, I started this blogging business now I'm not sure what to do with it:)
    Welcome aboard!
    La Bella Vie

    ReplyDelete

I know how busy you are and appreciate that you are taking the time to leave me a comment! God Bless! Bonnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails