Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Master Bathroom Reveal

I'm excited to show everyone how our master bathroom makeover turned out! I did most of the work by myself while Mr. Creative was hunting every weekend. Then when he would come home, I would have a list of things I needed him to do only because I wasn't strong enough to hang the mirror or afraid I would kill myself messing with the electric!

First, lets take a look at the before! This before shot is a picture of a picture when we were building the house in 1996. As you can see the front of the jacuzzi tub wasn't on yet!

1996 {BEFORE}

This picture was from about six years ago when I tried to go neutral!

2006 {BEFORE}

Here is the after with the blue walls. The curtain panels are from Hobby Lobby and since they are 96" long, I had to cut them off and hem them. You'll see what I did with the leftover fabric as we continue along. I want to get a bamboo roman shade for the window.

 {AFTER}

A different view from before.

2006 {BEFORE}

In time, I want to find a bookcase or a small cabinet to place here. That way I can store more items and decorate the shelves! It will have to be a certain size, so it may take me some time to find the perfect fit.

 {AFTER}

Let us continue on with another before snapshot. Trust me, the hunter green sink top was beautiful and I loved it for a LONG time. But since it had to go and I didn't have the money to replace it, I
PAINTED it! 

Yes, you read that right. I painted it with a tub refinishing kit. I will give a tutorial later. First the pictures! I even had a hunter green toilet seat! That makes me laugh!

1996 {BEFORE}

2006 {BEFORE}

You will notice that our large mirror has a frosted design on it. When we built our home, two of our friends took the mirror we ordered and did the etching on it. There is a female fairy with ivy on Mr. Creative's side and a male fairy with ivy on my side. So I guess Mr. Creative and I have been recreated as fairies on our mirror! We love it and just couldn't part with it or cover it with trim (like I wanted)!

 {AFTER}

I should have taken a better angle picture of the top! I will show that more in my tutorial. For now here is the only close up of the counter after painting it!

 {AFTER}

As you can tell, I also painted the cabinet black. Mr. Creative would have hurt me if I painted the oak trim or front of the bathtub so for those of you who don't care for stained wood...marriage is full of compromises!

Not that you could see them in the before pictures but the light fixtures above the mirror have been painted a bronze color and I replaced the sconces with a softer amber glass. Before, the sconce lights shined down. I decided that it would be a softer light if I flipped the fixtures so the sconces were shining up. LOVE it!

 {AFTER}

I also painted the accessories - towel bar, toilet roll holder and hand towel ring in an oil rubbed bronze which matches the ORB halogen ceiling fixtures I bought and Mr. Creative installed.

I took what was left when I hemmed the panels by the tub and added a ruffle to the bottom of two curtains I sewed together from Walmart. Kathy from Creative Home Expressions inspired me with her curtain panels for her guest room that you can see HERE. She found the panels at Hobby Lobby and I knew they were perfect for our room! Thanks Kathy!!

{AFTER}

Here's the "business" corner! I saw another blogger talk about keeping a box here for our "feminine" things. Awesome idea! The picture is a knock off canvas of the one at Kirklands. I just saved the image and sent it to one of the canvas online websites to have a smaller version made. MUCH CHEAPER and since I would never sell it, I thought it would be fine.

{AFTER}

Please tell me your thoughts? I'm thrilled with it although it isn't perfect but it was done on a budget of 
$400! That is everything from ceiling to floor which includes paint, light fixtures, accessories and decorations. I had some money from birthday and Christmas money that I received. 

The tub refinishing kit for the sink was expensive at $50 but MUCH cheaper than a new sink! The ceiling fixtures were $45 each so that added up, too. Many of the pictures/accessories are thrift store finds or clearance items.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you like it and it encourages you to take a chance in a makeover on a budget!

I am linking to Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style.

Have a wonderful day!

Bonnie






15 comments:

Traci said...

It looks great!! You did a fabulous job!!

NanaDiana said...

Bonnie- You did an awesome job- It really looks fabulous. I have painted sinks before, too, and people thought I was nuts---well, they are close to right- but now that you have done it I can see I have good company.

MyHero hates to have me paint ANY wood pieces- xo Diana

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Wow, Bonnie, what a change. You did a great job. LOVE the painted vanity. I am wanting to paint my bathroom cabinets sooo bad. We will see? Again, great job!

Stacey said...

Hi Bonnie. :)

I am very impressed! That was a lot of work and to do most of it alone was ambitious. The colors you chose are really pretty together. The shower curtain looks fantastic along with all the accessories.

It is always so neat to see someone do a huge project like that ... and on $400!! Reminds us all that it doesn't have to cost a million bucks if you work hard and think creatively.

ohiofarmgirl said...

Your bathroom is amazing!!! That is a wonderful makeover. Thanks for stopping by! Dianntha

Sooner Laura said...

First of all, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Second of all - you've got to work with what you've got - spaces and $$ and you did a great job! Third - there is NOTHING wrong with stained wood - it's darn expensive - builder's paint wood because paint grade is cheaper. I love the combination of wood and paint, I painted just the island and crown on my cabinets in the kitchen and I "half way" made over our guest bathroom, because tearing some stuff out and replacing was just too expensive at that time. Most important of all - do you love it? Then it's a success! Here is the link to the bathroom post http://lifebeginsatfortysomething.blogspot.com/2012/02/half-way-makeover-of-outdated-guest.html

Old Time Cindy said...

Great shower curtain! And you painted your sink? Hmmm...I may need to consider doing that with mine. Nice job!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Susan said...

It looks great, Bonnie! :)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Thanks everyone! It does the heart good to hear your comments!

Jill said...

Wow! What a difference! You have done a fabulous job!

Debra said...

LOL I have such a tiny bathroom in my little bungalow that even your BEFOREs look nice to me but as I went along through the post I could see the tremendous work and care that you put into everything and it is just lovely!

You can be so proud of yourself for all of the hard work that you put into this transformation!

Allison@FabRehab said...

So much better!! You did a great job!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Ha! I think it was me, Bonnie! I am looking at your shower curtain and thinking how much they look like the guest bedroom drapes I made. : ) Great job on the shower curtain and the whole bathroom!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Wow! You have got to share how you redid that sink. It is so pretty. From what I can tell you did an excellent job. I love,love,love the black cabinets! I also get the whole Mr. doesn't want the tub cabinetry painted thing. Men! Your bathroom looks wonderful. Great job!

Lindsey @ Better After said...

What a difference! It looks fabulous now, love the vanity!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails