Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Boxwood Centerpiece

This year (as in most years), I'm trying to make do with what I have on hand to decorate for Christmas. Until our boys are out on their own, I believe money will continue to be tight. My blog is about being creative on a budget so it only seems right to do so with Christmas!

The reason behind Christmas isn't to out do someone else but to celebrate the birth of Christ. In doing so, I wanted to do things that remind me of what is important like family and to somewhat get back to nature.

I've seen some centerpieces on Pinterest made from things we have outside. My favorite was from another blogger. Yvonne from Stone Gable did a wonderful blog post you can read HERE about arranging Christmas greens and made the centerpiece you see in the picture below:


stonegableblog.com

She so inspired me that I decided to go out and chop on those overgrown boxwood bushes we have in our front yard! I also went searching the house for a container!

Around the holidays, I can remember my parents using this nut bowl full of various nuts that they would crack and eat. It brings back fond memories and I've tried to preserve the bowl by staining and sealing it to bring out the gorgeous wood grain.


Using the boxwood clippings, I placed them around the center knob trying to keep them flowing in the same direction.


Using my stash of Home Interiors candles I've had for years, I set the candle on the center knob.


I casually placed three pine cones and three ornaments around the candle. I have always heard that odd numbers of items are more interesting so I try to follow that logic when I can. However 3 + 3 = 6 but I suppose since it is three of each, I'm okay!

Here is how the centerpiece turned out.


I just love it sitting here on my breakfast table.  


I can't say mine is as nice as Yvonne's but I'm happy with it! Plus, the cost for me was NOTHING! That's something to be happy about!

I'm joining Debbiedoo's 2nd annual Knock Off Decor Holiday Party!


Also linking to Linda's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm!


Have a wonderful day!

Merry Christmas!

Bonnie




11 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Your centerpiece is stunning, Bonnie. I love the way it looks. I was thinking tonight that I should go out and clip some of our boxwood and use a few snips of it. You have made up my mind for me-Love it- xo Diana

Debra said...

It's beautiful and just as nice! What a great idea! :)

Debra said...

It's beautiful and just as nice! What a great idea! :)

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

I love it Bonnie. I am loving all of the fresh greenery that I am seeing this year. I have had to re do my mantle already tho because it dried out so fast, and I am not sure it is going to last until Christmas. Still loving it tho :)

Debbiedoo's said...

Hi Bonnie...I am soooo happy to see you! And I see you are joining my party. Your centerpiece is gorgeous. I see you have not lost your creative touch. Great to see you.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That's beautiful, Bonnie.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

It really is stunning, Bonnie. Love the pinecones and ornaments!
Thanks for stopping by, loved having you!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's just lovely, Bonnie! You can't beat the price either! : ) I loved cutting fresh greens from our old house. I don't have too much here {although there are a couple of evergreen bushes}.

The Decorative Dreamer said...

So pretty! You are very lucky to have nice greenery that makes such an elegant centerpiece. I love how well your family's nut bowl worked out for you with this. I hear ya on those Home interior candles, except mine are all in the jars. LOL! It's so nice to hear from you again. Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful beautiful budget creations!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Bonnie,
Happy to see ya at my party this week...your thrifty centerpiece ROCKS!!

Blessings,
Linda

Calypso In The Country said...

Beautiful - and the perfect price!
-Shelley

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails