Sunday, May 15, 2011

Changing Things a Little in the Foyer

It's me again!  I have resurfaced with some creativity.  Working a little more than 3 days a week so I haven't had any time for blogging.  Just laundry, groceries, cooking and dishes!

When I had a few moments to spare, I was checking out a few blogs.  Liz caught my eye over at Savvy Seasons by Liz with a floral arrangement she did in her foyer.  Liz always inspires me and how she can have her new house so put together after just moving across the country is amazing to me!  Anyway, her arrangement made me remember that I made my bouquet for our wedding 20 years ago, so why couldn't I do a simple floral arrangement?

I found this container at Salvation Army on sale for $2.  It wasn't the most attractive and I thought I would paint it.  However, after I looked at it in the house, it wasn't too bad (with flowers!).


I went to Hobby Lobby where they had their floral bushes at 50% off.  They also had a clearance of 66% off but that is another post!  Anyway, I found a bouquet and I matched some brown eucalyptus with it for filler.


I already had some foam left over from who knows what project in the last 20 years!  I cut a piece to fit in the container.


I snipped the bouquet stems with the wire cutters and separated them into groups that matched.


I am more of a symmetrical person so for me I just kept it simple and even.  After I had the flowers inserted, I  stepped back to see where it needed a few more flowers.


I think it turned out rather nice.  From here I then used the eucalyptus for filler where it needed it.


This is how it turned out!  I just love it.  I have always loved arrangements and greenery around the home but there are so many decorators that just cringe about it.  It made me stop using "fake" flowers/greenery.  I have decided that I don't care anymore what the "experts" think.  I don't go overboard but I think a room needs them for warmth!  Okay enough of that subject!


How about a before picture from February for Valentine's day?  Rather lame if you ask me!


 Here are more after pictures!


Total cost:  $15 - Retail if you bought something like this:  $50
Works for me!


Here is a peek at another project I have been working on!  Don't you just love Shadow's pink tongue hanging out???


I am linking to Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday and Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday.  Make sure to stop by!
Photobucket



Thank you for hanging in here with me!  I know my posts are few and far between!  Your comments keep me going!
Bonnie

20 comments:

Denise said...

Oh what do decorators know anyway. They dont like ceiling fans either but in the south you really need them. Love the arrangement!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I love faux's and they like me, so they are definitely here in my house. Love your new arrangement and the urn is beautiful. It looks fabulous on the foyer table. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Liz said...

What a gorgeous arrangement, I love it and thanks for mentioning me, you are so sweet! *smile* I love how your arrangement looks on your table, so cozy and elegant. I may copy you and try adding a lamp and a smaller, yet, better scaled arrangement.

I can't wait to see your next project.

Have a wonderful Sunday! XOXO ~Liz

Honey at 2805 said...

The "real" decorators are all of my blogging friends. Faux's all right with me!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

You are so right Bonnie that would retail for a lot more. Looks great!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Looking good, Bonnie. Nice arrangement. Hope you have a good week.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Bonnie! You did a great job. I like my floral arrangements better when I keep it simple. I use fauxs in my house ~ I don't have time to take care of real ones and haven't had a real plant in my house in years. Except for during the Summer when I bring in some of my hydrangea's from the yard.

NanaDiana said...

Bonnie- How fun to see you posting something! I LOVE the arrangement you put together! It is perfect for that space. I don't mind faux flowers and greenery at all-as long as it is not overdone I think it fills in when we don't have access to the REAL THING! (Kind of like a blow up doll for some people but we won't talk about that here);>) Hugs- Diana

FABBY'S LIVING said...

What a great flower arrangements! I love faux, I need to do this on my mil's French, art nuveou center piece as it has a pretty arrangement (faux) made by her and she died 2 yrs. ago, I haven't part with it yet, but I need to now, one with lots of color, instead of the soft pinks it has. Thank you for this great inspiration...love the urn too!
Have a nice week. I'm also at MM, at, BNOTP.
FABBY

Cheri said...

Love it! That is just PERFECT for that spot!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I think it turned out beautifully. I prefer real flowers and I generally have a vase with something fresh on the kitchen counter...but, I use silks all over the place. I just make sure they look real. Some silks are so fake looking and I don't like those, but I agree that pretty ones add something warm to a home.

Good to see you!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hi, Bonnie! Your floral arrangement looks great in your foyer. I don't know why, but floral arranging doesn't come easy to me so I always appreciate it when I see someone with that gift!

Allison said...

It looks beautiful, Bonnie and perfect for that spot. I'm glad you follow your heart and do what pleases you. That is what is most important! Have a great week.

At The Picket Fence said...

Your foyer looks so lovely Bonnie and you did a fabulous job on that beautiful arrangement! It was so fun to see a new post pop up from you and to receive your sweet comments! :-)
Vanessa

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You have some wonderful ideas! Love the flower arrangement you put together! It's great to get a good deal on something and make it look expensive! ♥

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Greetings! I'm over from BNOTP: You did a great job on the arrangement! And I LOVE faux flowers, so you are not alone!
Best,
Gloria

Mrs. DeVore said...

Beautiful arrangement!

Cindy said...

Your arrangement looks great, faux can be so pretty! :)
Have a lovely weekend!
Cindy

Carolyn said...

Hi Bonnie!

So nice to meet you!! Thank you for the encouraging words! :)

I love the arrangement....so BEAUTIFUL!!!

Hugs, Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

All That Glitters said...

Gorgeous pieces Bonnie!!!!

That is wonderful you are starting some where and saving at least something!!! It's fun isn't it!! Not easy but fun! I'm soooo happy for you girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails