Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Weekend Trip to Quincy, IL!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend so far!  I went to Quincy, IL to see my aunt this weekend.  Of course being the bad blogger I am, I forgot my camera!  So I am sharing pictures from the web of what I have seen there!  My dad and his family are from Quincy.  Beautiful historic town.  It is usually just gorgeous in the spring and fall.  Enjoy!

First up is downtown Quincy.  Not too much going on down there now that most businesses have moved on the outside of town.  I love the old architecture!

The old drugstore:



There are so many different styles of homes from the 1800's.  I just love these old homes and wish I could afford to buy and restore one to it's glory.




I think this is the tourist center now but was built to look like a home from the middle east.  Quite unique for overlooking the dirty Mississippi!

I think the bridge is even an interesting design!  

Well, I didn't get to go thrifting or do anything fun this time.  We did eat at Maid Rite which is a local original crumbled hamburger place.  Most of my time was spent visiting a family friend who has last stage cancer.  Such a sad disease.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to get back to working on the rest of my pillows!!

Have a wonderful day!
Bonnie

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I have been through Quincy. Aren't the old buildings there amazing? It is sad to see the old downtown becoming vacant as the businesses move outside to the "new and improved" shopping area. Glad you enjoyed your trip! hugs- Diana

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those are some gorgeous buildings and homes. Happy Halloween!

Traci said...

Those homes are unbelievable! Sorry about your friend. I know about last stage cancer after having a grandmother & aunt go through it. It's not fun & is incredibly sad.

Crystal said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Isn't Kim the best?! I would've loved to have went on your trip. I LOVE looking at old building and houses like that!

Allison said...

Lovely buildings and homes. So much character and charm! I am so sorry about your friend. I've gone through it with my mother recently and my brother-in-law. It is very very sad. I will say a pray for your friend.

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Hey girl!

Yes way too busy, I have my grand boys here and you know how that is!
I love these pictures and I too would really love to restore one of these beauties, they're beautiful!
Terry
PS hope all is going well with the job track down.

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

Hi, Bonnie
I am originally from Quincy!! I moved with my exhusband in 1989, and haven't lived there since. I go back often as I still have family there, too. Send me an email and let me know you're dad's family name - - maybe I know someone!!

The architecture in Quincy IS fabulous. I LOVE the area between State and Main, from 18th to 24th street. Especially in the fall, when the streets are covered with the falling leaves.

I now live in Perryville with my second (and most WONDERFUL) husband. It's a much smaller town than Quincy and just doesn't have any of the architecture. Neither does Cape Girardeau - - not the old, intricate architecture, anyway!!

My email is rynsuz2003@hotmail.com

I'd love to chat with you more!!

Hugs ~~ Suz

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails