Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thrifty Transformation!

Good morning to everyone!!  It is quite cool here this morning and it seems this week will be in the high 60 to low 70 with no rain all week.  As you know, I'm a summer gal so that is a little cooler than I prefer but MUCH better than winter!!  The leaves should be changing soon!

In this previous post, I showed everyone my fall decorating.  In there, I had a cheese dome that I made into a cloche type on a pedestal.  We have all seen these all over the blogging world and I thought I would show mine!



I started with this cheese dome (the one in the back of the picture with a wood base) and a candle holder from Goodwill.  I think in total it was $4 for both.  After awhile I forget what things cost me!!


I put the dome in the dishwasher and gave the base and candle holder a good cleaning.  After a light sanding. I got out the Krylon satin black spray paint.  I figured with black, I could move it anywhere in the house and it would look good.  I gave it a couple coats, letting it dry in between.


I was going to glue it together but you can see from this picture underneath that the bottom had 3 cushion legs that the pedestal fit perfectly between.  So I just set it there because it doesn't move or slide around at all.  I guess now I can use them separately, too!

I added a few outdoor items I found in the yard and a Dollar Tree pumpkin with leaves to add a seasonal flair!  A little more orange than I prefer but it looks cute!  A very easy project that I can change around with the seasons or my whims!!

I am linking up to the following parties:

House of Grace for


HOG


Coatal Charm for

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
Debbiedoos for her B&A Party!

Please make sure to stop by and see the other great decorating ideas!!!

I wanted to thank everyone for the lovely comments on my "honesty" for the 7 things about me!  I am pretty much an open book and am always surprised how many people can relate to me!
Have a great day!
Bonnie

19 comments:

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

What a perfect fall look and you could change the look easily with the seasons. You could even use it at the center of your Thanksgiving table.

the cape on the corner said...

so cute, love that chunky base! i am kicking myself for not picking up some 25 cent candlesticks the last time i was at the thrift store. i plan to stop today, but i'm sure they won't be there. love yours!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love how this sits on a pedestal. Now I will be on the lookout for one for my cheese dome. Great job!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looks great...love how you didn't glue it together and can now use it for so many more projects! Thanks for coming to my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope you are having a fun time here!

Blessings,
Linda

Vanessa said...

That looks great Bonnie! Don't you just love spray paint? I'm seriously spray happy these days!
Vanessa

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

what a great idea!

Jemsmom said...

You are so clever! I love that!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

That is a great way to create a cloche and it has multiple uses. You did a great job and it is so pretty!

Sailing Simply said...

Looks wonderful Bonnie! I wish I would come across a round wooden base like that to paint! I love the black!

NanaDiana said...

Bonnie- What a great idea. I have been picking those things up too and plan to use them for Christmas cloches. Adding that base realllllly makes a difference. Good idea-good job-good girl! Hugs- Diana

Debbie said...

That is just so cute Bonnie. I love your Fall touches. I am going to be on the lookout for more things like this...it is amazing what you can come up. Thanks for joining me, and thanks for my sisters birthday wishes, she will appreciate it.

Betsy said...

What a great idea, never thought about that before. A cloche can be so expensive, you did a wonderful and thrifty job.
Thanks for visiting with me. Happy hunting out there;-)

Erin@likegrandmas said...

YES!!! I have the same paper towel holder and it has been fixed umpteen times, and I want a new one, now I can do something else with it! So thank you Bonnie for the great idea, plus I really really want to do a cloche(gotta get a cheese dome next!). Too, thanks for stopping by and commenting on all my kids:D

Kristin said...

Very cute. And don't you just love these cool temps? Thanks for sharing and visiting Sweet Country Life!
Kristin

Pam said...

I think my first comment didn't go through (my computer is killing me). I love what you did with the cheese dome. I see those at Goodwill all the time and didn't realize how cute they could look. Thanks for the idea.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This looks great, Bonnie! Great find, too. I haven't been to Goodwill in awhile now, and I'm trying to be good, but seeing your finds is making me want to go!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Very nice! I love using cheese domes as cloches and I like having the versatility to change it up! Good for you not glueing it!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

It looks great. Love the chunky base! Thank's for visiting my blog, I'm glad you liked the end tables makeover!

Joseph said...

The chunky base is beautiful and I am enjoying all of your projects. it's inspiring me to get busy.


Kitchen Benchtops

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails