Wednesday, September 22, 2010

From Thrift Store to Southern Living Inspiration!

About a year ago, I found these tole pots in the Southern Living catalog and thought they would be great in my kitchen when I redecorate.  Of course the price was far more than I would or even could pay for them.  I watched ebay closely for awhile and found that they still weren't anywhere near what I could afford.


I came across this rectangle candle tray and 3 planter squares at the Goodwill store for $3.  I thought for sure I could do something to make them resemble what I wanted.  However, there they sat in the project room for months while I passed them by for other projects!!


Then when it seemed I didn't have the money to continue my thrift store passion shopping, I decided to start working on the many projects I have waiting for me!  I took them out to the garage and got to work!  First I spray painted the base using ORB spray paint.

Then I pulled out the 3 trusty colors from my house paint and went to work!  Olive green, barn red and harvest gold are what I call the colors!!  As usual, the one can of green Valspar took 3 coats while the Kilz Colors red paint only took 2 and the Kilz Colors gold was only 1 coat!  


I almost left them like this because they looked good.  I didn't paint the inside because I am going to put dirt and either herbs or violets inside.  I wanted to make the tulips show better so I found some gold rub n buff to highlight them.  It helped!


Then I felt they needed a little aging so I whipped out the metallic glaze, wiped it on and then wiped it off.  I almost waited too long because some areas didn't come off easily.  Overall, I am quite please with them and wish I could have waited to show you until I had the plants in them!!!  Oh well, I will show that when the kitchen is done!!  



$3 compared to $30 on ebay????  Works for me!  I am going to link this to Debbiedoos garage salen party later this week!!!

Photobucket

I am also linking this to Vanessa's Inspiration Friday! Since I was inspired by the Southern Living Home catalog!!





Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Bonnie

22 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These turned out very very cute!!! Can't wait to see them planted!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

They look fabuous. What a great find. Hugs, Marty

Debbie said...

Works for me too Bonnie, love the colors and you did a great great job! Thanks for forwarding that for me, very cool!

the cape on the corner said...

that is so great! better than the original, and so personalized by you!

NanaDiana said...

Really, really cute! Love them! You could even glue marbles on for "legs" if you wanted them to feel more like the originals. However, I really like them just the way they are! Great job- and it reminds me that I have to get at some of the stuff I have in my own work area! Hugs- Diana

Green Willow Pond said...

I like them better than the inspiration...especially with the base. Very pretty!

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

You did good!! I use rub n buff and love that product. I can't wait to see when you've filled them.

Vanessa said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Those look gorgeous! Seriously they look like something you would buy out of a catalog. I love how you brought out the leaf design which was barely noticable in the first photo. Great job!
Vanessa

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Bonnie, those turned out great. You know how to save that money don't you. Very very creative.

Sailing Simply said...

Wow! I love this! You really took those pots to a whole new level! They look wondeful! So neat that you thought of that. I cannot wait to see where they end up too.

Jemsmom said...

Wowza!!! Those are awesome!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Very cute. I think it is great that you are getting some projects done during this "down time" for shopping! Maybe a little bit of silver lining.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Yours turned out so pretty!! Great job and what a deal!

Mary Ellen said...

These are such a cute trio!! Great find!!

bee blessed
mary

Kathy said...

I LOVE those colors, they are so me and what a great job..glad you finished it!

Allison said...

They look very pretty, Bonnie. I need to try Rub n Buff. I've heard people love it. They will look gret with plants in them. How fun and you sure saved $. Very creative.

Allison said...

Those look great! Wonderful job!

Decgal's Humble Abode said...

These look fantastic and expensive to. I love to paint things and make them look new or better. That's probably why I have my hair colored....LOL. Thank you for the before and after shots. Decgal for ever

Teri said...

They look great! I can't wait to see them once you get them filled.

GardenofDaisies said...

Rubbing that bronze over the raised design really gives these a finished look!! You are so creative!

Sue said...

I think your creation turned out magnificently, Bonnie! The colors are very French country and the darker finish you put on them gave them more dimension. Loved your demijohn in a previous alphabet post. I just bought one recently and love it. Thanks for visiting. I'm so behind in my return comments and will only be getting busier. Why is this time of year so hectic? LOL Take care and feel free to visit again, anytime. :-)
~ Sue

Amelia said...

Looks fantastic...certainly thinking outside the box - or the catalog this time.

Have a great week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails