Monday, August 2, 2010

From Ugly to Cottage!

A few weeks ago I showed you a very ugly homemade cabinet that we pulled out of our niece's rehab house to throw away. We used it as a base to paint hinges and to sand doors! Since she has NO money and needed something in the bathroom to hold her towels and toiletries, I decided to see what I could do with it.

Here is the before picture!!


You can see it has no back in this picture! You can also see my helper, Shadow!


My idea was to paint it white and her bathroom wall color on the inside. So I took the paneling off the side, sanded it and gave it a coat of primer.


We then bought a sheet of luan that I painted the teal blue to match the inside.


The outside got 4 coats of high gloss white. My honey and I added a shelf to the top with trim and added molding around the bottom to finish it off. Of course my hubby is the expert at the trim. He did a lot for me on this one!



I bought satin nickel door pulls to match her bathroom and I painted the hinges a satin nickel.


I think it turned out really nice for a piece of junk before!


I will post her house later this week once the chair rail is up in the kitchen. She is moved in and she has decorated it so nicely! I painted countertops yesterday so today I will do the poly on them and finish hanging the beadboard wallpaper as a backsplash. Almost done!

I am linking this transformation to the following parties this week! Please stop by and see the MANY others that have linked great things!

Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday!!


Debbiedoos Before and After Party!


Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday!
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/


The Pumpkin Patch for Transform Tuesday!



22 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my Bonnie what a job there girlfriend....looks awesome though..really like brand new!

Sailing Simply said...

Fantastic job Bonnie! I love how you two added the trim, and the satin nickel hardware. What a change. Your neice is going to love it!

the cape on the corner said...

yes! that looks great. served 2 purposes then, huh, base for painting and new cabinet. double yes!

Always Nesting said...

Nice? It's amazing!! The before and after photos say it all.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Bonnie, that looks really good. Y'all did a fantastic job. Is that bead board wallpaper easy to use?

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Bonnie that turned out wonderful! Great job!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

WOW! genius. :)

Red Door Home said...

You did a wonderful job making over this cabinet. I love the painted inside - such a nice surprise!

The Blackwood Cottage said...

Yay, I love it!
machelle

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Wow...I think this proves that any piece of furniture can look great with a bit of hard work and elbow grease! Love what you did!

Pine Tree Home said...

Liking the pop of color on the inside. Can't wait to see it hung up.

Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Wow! what a great transformation!

Holly said...

That is quite a save. The teal inside is a great idea! You did an amazing job!

Mary said...

What an incredible transformation...I'm sure your neice is thrilled :-)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

You did a great job on this. Quite the turn around! Love the color on the inside.

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

I think it's really great! I love how it turned out. Nice job!

Thanks for stopping by The Pumpkin Patch and checking out my laundry room. I really do enjoy doing laundry now! :)

Thanks also for linking to Transform Tuesday. Can't wait to see your next project!

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Dear Rooster Party Participant,

Just a reminder that this coming Friday, August 6th is the Rooster Party. I am so looking forward to seeing your post.

Thanks for joining and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Hugs, Barb

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...

Really looks great now! Love the blue on the inside!

Debbie said...

Thanks for linking this up too Bonnie:)

Jeannine said...

This was a great transformation! A lot of work but really worth it. Thanks for sharing

The Polka Dot Closet said...

That is a true trash to treasure piece! How cute! I love the price!

Carol

Donna said...

This looks amazing! Love the color inside. How nice of you to make it for your niece!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails