Saturday, August 21, 2010

French Provincial Chest Makeover

What a crazy Saturday this has been!  About 11pm last night, a storm rolled through our area and we lost power.  It was such a downpour with alot of wind and lightening.  I kept waking up during the night because our phone would make a quick ringing sound from the electric being out, I guess.  The power didn't come on until 9 am this morning.  When I tried to drive down our road, a tree was down and my husband is out of town!!  Luckily our nearest neighbor came over and cut it so the boys and I could drag it off.  Whew....

I purchased this set of furniture for $60 and planned to do a makeover and sell the pieces individually.  Yesterday I showed you the small french provincial dresser that I did a makeover on for our master bedroom.  I am also working on a little girls desk that I still need to upholster the seat on the chair.  However, I did finish this chest of drawers today.

Here is a picture of it before without the drawers.  I removed all the hardware and soaked in TSP to remove any dirt and oil.  After cleaning the chest, I sanded and primed with Kilz oil base primer.  I sanded again and gave another coat of primer. 


I then painted it black.  It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do with each piece to sell and it seems that everyone really likes the black right now.


I put two coats of minwax paste sealer on it and buffed it a lot.  I think it needs a little more buffing to get a few streaks out. 


I used Krylon satin nickel finish paint on the hardware.  I think it complements the black really well.  The below picture is closer to the actual color.  The flash made it lighter in the above pictures. 


So I guess all I need to do now is list it on Craigslist!  I'm a little scared that it won't sell but I really only have about $30 in it so I should be able to sell and make a little money for my time.  I actually enjoyed doing it so that would be great to make money doing something you enjoy!!


Thanks for stopping by today and I hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Bonnie

12 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Bonnie, I love the black. It looks great. Should sell quickly I would think. Good luck.

ain't for city gals said...

You sure did get a good buy on the set! Do you read Urban Farmgirl blog...she is on my blog list on the side bar. She makes a really good living painting furniture and she shares lots of tips...I have learned lots from her...Good luck on your new idea...keep us posted.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

The black is awesome with the white handles, very in right now!!

NanaDiana said...

You did a great job on that. I have redone a couple of those old French provincial pieces too. I'm sure it will sell quickly. I am really liking the black a lot. I just did a little piece in black, too, for between the little girls' twin beds....but the piece is not as nice looking as yours. Great job! Diana

Vintagesouthernlife said...

It is gorgeous.I love the hardware color with the black. I'm sure it will sell right away.
Annette

Jemsmom said...

If that doesn't sell quickly, I don't know what would! Great job!

Always Nesting said...

I love it. I think it looks awesome in black.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Looks great! I really like the new color of the handles. We had a bad storm here in Kansas City too. Lots of crazy wind and rain. We had a storm the previous Friday night as well and we lost power. I have a whole new appreciation for electricity! And instead of our phone ringing like yours, our smoke alarms all stated going off at 5am. Not cool.

Allison said...

Bonnie,

It looks very nice in the black! Very chic! I think you will sell that quickly. You did a beautiful job and it's a nice size dresser. Hope your weather is a bit better today. Enjoy your Sunday.

Sue said...

Bonnie, I like the black finish. It's classic and versatile. Wishing you good luck listing it for sale.
:-) Sue

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I don't think you will have any trouble selling it...can't wait to see how it goes for you!

Sharley said...

I just bought this same dresser to refinish! I hadn't even thought of black but it looks beautiful. Hmmm...maybe I'll try it. I'll send you a pic when I finish! Doubletake Decor

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails