Tuesday, August 17, 2010

12 Feet of Window Panels!

I hope everyone is having a good week so far!  I am trying to finish up some projects that I had started.  I continue to try to get my family room completed.  One HUGE project was to sew curtain panels that would reach from our 2nd story windows to the floor.  I had priced purchasing them and believe me that wasn't going to happen!

Here is a before shot of our windows.  Not sure what was on my lens but it looks like water drops.  Oops!  Well you get the drift of what it looked like!  This was as the sun went down last night so it isn't as bright either!  Yes, that is a deer there.  I think I am going to name him Chuck!  He has been hanging there for at least 10 years now so I hardly notice him.  So everyone understands, we do eat the meat that the guys hunt and do our part to help control the wildlife population with great respect for animals and wildlife. 


In this picture you can see more of our gold wall next to the red accent.  I was worried that the red would be too much and to some it may be, but we all love it.


I found some gold drapery fabric at a decorating outlet for $6.99 a yard.  It had thin lines of red in it that would complement the colors of the walls in our family room.  I bought 18 yards of fabric so they cost me $125 plus thread.  Much better than the thousand dollars they wanted to make custom curtains!

Here you see that I first folded in an inch on each side of the panel and sewed that down.  If I was sewing for someone else, I would have folded the selvages under but for me, it didn't matter.  No one will see it and it saved another step.  I decided not to line them because no sun comes in those windows.  That saved a step and MORE money!


I then folded the top edge over by 1/2 inch and pressed.  From there I folded over another 3 inches and pressed.  I sewed all the way across the top at 1 1/2 inches down from the folded top and again at the bottom edge to form the curtain rod casing.  Maybe at a later date I will add some trim to the edge but right now, we just didn't have the money. 


Mr. Creative got the extension ladder out, measured, put anchors in the wall and installed the rod holders.  We hung the curtains and then I pinned to what length I wanted.  Of course we had to take them back down so I could do a proper hem.  I again folded under 1/2 inch and pressed.  I then folded over 3 inches and sewed to make a nice hem.

Mr. Creative hung one for me once I had it hemmed.  I still had to hem the other panels.  So once completed, I climbed the ladder and hung the other one because he had to go to bed to get up early for work!!  My son took the ladder out for me.  Here you can see a picture without the flash.


Here is the after shot with a flash.  I should have waited to take the ladder out because I see one side is open more than the other so I will fix that tonight!!  I couldn't wait to show everyone as I was so excited!!  I love them!  They were easy to make just a lot of sewing straight lines!


I am quite proud of how they turned out.  I think they keep the wall from looking so chopped up and give one continuous line.  It is taking some getting used to having curtains since we haven't had any for about a year!  We have a beautiful view and I didn't want to cover that up but the room needed the softness.  It is hard to decorate to please me and the hunters in the family as you can see!

Well I still have to find a new shade for that lamp on the left!  I have already painted the lamp itself but am waiting to post until I can buy the right shades!  I also want a caramel color sofa but finding a good one for cheap has been a challenge!!  I will post more as I complete the room!

I am linking up to Debbiedoos Before and After Party!

Fabric Fun Thursday at Cheap Chic Home!

Photobucket



Sew Much Ado for We did it Wednesday!!






Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Bonnie

20 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks amazing; what a difference a little fabric makes! :)

mle said...

Looks fantastic! It inspires me to try my hand at treatments for my tall windows!

Sailing Simply said...

I am glad you were able to get this fixed and get your post out! Wow! What a BIG wonderful change! OMG! I just love it! Love the color too, it even matches nicely with your fireplace. Aren't you so glad you were able to do this without spending a ton of money? I was so looking for Charlie outside the window in your yard or something at first! LOL!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Bonnie, what a transformation. That really adds some softness to the room. Great job!

Debbie said...

Bonnie you did an unbelievable job...really it just made the entire room come together...KUDOS girl you done great!!!!!~~~~~~

Keep Calm and Decorate said...

I love the curtains! The curtains really makes the room!!!

NanaDiana said...

Bonnie-What a great job! I love the softness it adds to the room...and it just kind of "finishes" it, I think. Draperies are soooo expensive when you purchase them! Diana

Jemsmom said...

Holy moly!!! That is fantastic!!!! I am so proud of you! That is incredible and looks spectacular!

- Brittany said...

Wow, those look fabulous!

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

the cape on the corner said...

loving this-makes the room feel much softer. great job-i love how you included the top windows, too.

Jennifer said...

Man! That looks great!!! You did a fantastic job! I think curtains are way overpriced and they also give me a headache! That's one thing I hate shopping for! You saved a ton too! You go girl!

The Inspired Nest said...

They look great~! It really does soften the room and adds some cozyness!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

It really changed the look of the room. I love how it pulled it all together and gives the room a much warmer, cozy look. You did a great job.

Debbie said...

thanks Bonnie!!~:)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Beautiful change, what a difference...and doesn't block that great veiw!

Rondell

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Great change, it really picks up the gold in the fireplace stones too!

The Thrifty Designer said...

Looks amazing! And just so you know, we love some venison too...but somehow I've gotten away with keeping the antlers in the garage :) They make great hat racks.

Lisa said...

It looks great! I can't imagine how hard that must have been to work with such a large piece of fabric, but it turned out great!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

That looks wonderful! Those windows are pretty tricky, Yikkes, how do you clean those windows??? I am visiting from Debbiedoos.

Carol

Kim said...

They are absolutely wonderful! Doesn't it make a huge difference with the long line and the softening? The wall colors are so pretty, too. The price was unbeatable for sure. You did a great job, thank you so much for linking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails