Thursday, July 22, 2010

Foreclosure Rehab House Update

I know you are all wanting to see the progress of all of our hard work on our niece's house. I thought I would post some before and so far after pictures! It has been almost a month so it feels good to be able to show some progress!

Remember the before of the kitchen? We tried to remove the border and ended up using joint compound and Kilz over it. It would not come off all the way. My honey removed that strange bulk head that led over to a wall oven on the right.

Here is the current after. My niece's mom (my SIL), niece and I worked hard on these cabinets. We removed the wood laminate, used lacquer thinner to remove the contact cement, sanded A LOT, primed and painted. My SIL is crazy with the sander! My niece spray painted all the hinges and handles bronze to match her new lights. My husband's older brother has put in new window sills, trim around the cabinets and exterior doors. He is the door man! We still have a way to go but it is a start!

On this side you can see the before of the cabinet doors with the laminate on them. You can't tell in this picture but that lower half of the wall is actually linoleum glued to the wall with wall paper over it. We removed it and then was left with tore up walls.

I did a skim coat on the lower walls and we are going to hang bead board wallpaper to hide the imperfections there. The windows have been painted with high gloss white and look so much better. The ceiling is painted but has a lot of rough areas.

I forgot to take a before picture of what was in this corner previously. It was a wall oven with cabinets above and below with a bulkhead connecting it to the cabinets on the other side of the room. My honey removed the oven and bulk head, replaced missing drywall and has framed in a pantry for her.

Just a rough shot of the before in the living room. Those hideous vertical blinds were ripped out immediately! I know, none of you like any vertical blinds anywhere either!!

My hubby replaced drywall where there were holes in the wall and I patched with joint compound the best I could. The walls are pretty rough but once painted and her things are in the room, it won't be as noticeable. The window looks so much better with that white paint!

This is going to be her bedroom temporarily until we can get the other two bedrooms done. That is fake paneling! No grooves...however, we couldn't get the waviness out of the paneling so now that it is painted you see it when the light hits it. Also some joints just couldn't be repaired enough to hide.

With the trim paint and final coat on the walls, it is so much better. With her furniture and curtains, most of the issues won't be noticeable!

The bathroom....well they found mold but luckily not any rotten wood. This room was completely gutted to the studs and sub floor. I would say the room size is only 5x7 which is a tight fit for a bathroom that has a door!

New everything except the bathtub and toilet. My BIL and my husband have done all the electric and plumbing. They are so handy! I am hoping we can get a refinishing kit to work on the cast iron tub and fix the finish. Never done that so I will have to read up on it. A family friend is coming today to tape the joints to get it ready for painting.

There are some very talented and hard working people in this family and we are all doing what we can to make it a nice livable space! Her grandma has been helping with priming walls and trim but I like it best when she cooks nice dinners and brings them over for us in the evenings!

Hopefully by the end of August, she will get to move in. I know she is anxious and as she is seeing it come together it makes it seem like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, I am off for a few days to work around the house and finish my projects! I hope everyone has a great day!

Bonnie

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Bonnie I can't get over all the work you have done so far, and all the work still ahead! It is going to be awesome though...the home had great bones....

Debbie said...

Hey Bonnie, is my blog NOT coming up on your roll? I know it was there at one point...I wonder if something is wrong with blogger, I am going to check some others...

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow, I'm really impressed with your progess!! I love seeing the before and after shots. It looks like a completely different house in the afters. Way to go!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Bonnie, you are one hard working lady. Y'all have done a lot in a short amount of time. Looking good.

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Oh my goodness girl! This is an amazing transformation! Your niece is so lucky to have you as her Auntie and your hubby too!
I think you also have an amazing family for all of you to come together and help one another.
Hugs girlfriend!
Terry
PS still wish we were neighbors, we could get in so much trouble thrifting and furniture re-do's:)
T.

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

PS I just read Kathryn's post (Jemsmom) and I just want to let you know, I would gladly be your BFFL! As I have always said, wish we were neighbors:)
Terry:)

Allison said...

Wow- Big changes and definitely for the better! Can't wait to see the final result.

Sandy said...

Thats alot of work your doing there,and it's really looking good.
I wanted to thank you for your visit today and now let me go read more of your blog.. busy lady you are!
Sandy
thewondersofdoing@blogspot.com

Green Willow Pond said...

Wow! What a wonderful aunt you are to do so much work for your niece. Looks like the place is really taking shape. Keep up the good work!

Sailing Simply said...

Wow! Yall have been working hard! It is coming along great! I know your neice is sooo anxious and thrilled too! This is so wonderful! I am surprised that is not a new tub and toilet because I sure thought is was! I can't wait to see next time.

The Thrifty Designer said...

Bonnie,
The updates are looking great! I know that's been a lot of hard work, but it sure is going to look amazing when ya'll are finished. I found this blog with awesome curtain ideas I thought you (or your niece) might like http://beyondthescreendoordesigns.blogspot.com/

Jemsmom said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!! You are the hardest working group of people I know! I love how your family all comes together for a good cause. I love all the progress you have made! What a difference!

Linda said...

Wow, you are totally giving the place a facelift! I'm looking forward to seeing this completed project!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails