Thursday, May 6, 2010

Let There be Light!!



Well, I bought this pair of lamps from Craigslist for $30. I want them to go on a dresser that I am going to use as a sofa table behind the sofa. I felt like the color would be a great match for our family room and thought I would buy new shades for them. When I got them home, I realized just how HUGE they are and that they required the largest shades you can buy! My child size lamp base and I went shopping to many stores and he even stood up in the cart!!! I couldn't find any I liked and they were so expensive. So off I went carrying my lamp in and out of fabric stores until I found fabric to match on the clearance aisle of Hancock Fabrics. So two lamp shades are going to cost me $8!!! Now the fun part! I've never made lamp shades but have sewn quite a lot in my lifetime so I figured I could do this. I removed all the trim from the shade and decided I was going to attach my fabric over the current shade fabric as it was very stiff. My fabric is a medium weight upholstery fabric so it held together well.


One thing I did realize is that you can't just cut a round piece of fabric and make it fit a cone shape! I laid out the fabric (good side down) and lined up the visible fold line straight on the seam of the shade. Then I rolled the shade around on the fabric while tracing the edge of the shade with a black marker.


I cut the fabric a little larger than the line to allow for it to roll over the edge of the shade. I attached it on the top of the shade with clothes pins, making the seam to be where the old seam was located. At the seam, I folded the fabric at the edge about a half inch and lightly steam pressed it down with my iron to make a smooth seam. Then I got out my trusty glue gun and began slowly gluing the top in sections and putting more clothes pins on to hold it until it dried. I then glued down the seam, turned it over and did the same process with the bottom.



I was going to buy trim to attach but wasn't able to find some I liked and it was going to cost more than the fabric so I decided to make my own trim from the left over fabric. I didn't take pictures of this unfortunately. However, the most important thing is the trim must be cut on the bias of the fabric or you won't be able to attach it on the curve of the shade. To do this, fold the cut edge of the fabric up to match the selvaged edge. Then cut the fabric in strips along the folded section. I had to sew a few sections together to make long enough pieces but it worked fine. I then folded the strips in thirds lengthwise and pressed with the iron. I also sewed the trim along the edge to give it a finished look but you don't have to do that. I hot glued the trim around the top and the bottom using a few clothes pins to hold it while it dried.
What do you think of my finished product????? The fabric isn't as purple/pink as it looks in the lighting of the picture. It matches the lamp base really well. Now I just need to finish the living room and show you how they look in the room!!!


I am linking up with The Shabby Chic Cottage for

Transformation Thursday

Make sure to check the other posts!!!

Laura from Along for the Ride asked me to link this craft for her party! Check out all the crafts of so many talented people!!

11 comments:

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Great job, I've been meaning to try this sometime. I think I'll start with a thrift store lampshade and some fabric that I wouldn't weep over if the project went awry.

kim said...

Bonnie, that is funny that we both worked on lampshades. That looks good. Do you know how to make your photos bigger by clicking ex large at the bottom of the photo. It makes it a lot easier for us to look at. Just sharing some info to better your new blog.

LV said...

It is not always how much you spend, but how you use what spent. You are very creative and have great ideas. I read all your post and find you a great lady that has been blessed with a wonderful family. Welcome to blog world. You will do fine. Trust me if I can do it, you sure can. I goof almost daily.

Debbie said...

Awesome Job Bonnie! I have to do a lamp makeover hmmmmm....look at you linking up already, You go girl!

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

It looks great! It's funny, I just covered a lampshade with fabric and after seeing your tutorial, I think I did it the hard way! Now I have a better idea for next time. Why are those darn lamp shades so expensive anyway?!
Have a great day!
~Michelle

From the Kitchen said...

Hello Bonnie. I always check out a "Bonnie" blog and am happy to find you. Thanks for the lampshade tutorial. I have several that need replacing and one lamp base that I'm thinking of painting. Have you ever painted a base?

Stop by a visit me.

Best,
Bonnie

From the Kitchen said...

P.S. I just became a "follower". It's always fun to notice that you have new "friends" when you log on.

Best,
Bonnie

Melissa Miller said...

Bonnie welcome to blogging! You will love it!

Thank you very much for stopping by for a sweet visit and for following along as well. I really appreciate it and will do the same. Your blog and projects are great. What a gorgeous lamp and shade. The warm color is my favorite. I can't wait to see the rest of the room as well.
Beautiful job!

Pease stop by anytime! You're always welcome my friend.

*Blessings & Smiles* ~Melissa :)

Revamped French Maison said...

You did a fantastic job recovering the lamp shade! I've been thinking about recovering a few of mine. So many projects to do and so little time! I'll refer back to your post when I get around to this project. Someday.....:))

Laura said...

I love the transformation! Great job.

I'm hosting a blog party on Saturday and I'd love it if you linked up! http://www.iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

Laura said...

I'm so glad you came by and linked up. Can't wait to see what else you are working on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails