Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Green Acres is the Place for Me!!

Well, here goes my first attempt at planting a garden from seeds!! Some months back when I decided to plant a garden, I asked my teenage boys to take an old tarp down the hill (to our only flat ground with sun) and lay it out with rocks to hold it down. We left the tarp there for about two months and it took care of killing all the weeds! Then the three of us dug up and turned over the soil and I used the trusty weasel to break apart the bigger chunks. Needless to say I was sore the next day but the boys were fine. Must be my age catching up with me...





I planted cucumbers, radishes, green beans, onions and lettuce from seeds.
Now, I have had these seeds since the previous summer as I had good intentions of doing it then. I had no idea if they would grow this year or not!!!





Well, take a look here for yourself!!! We have cute little green things popping up in abundance.
Guess it is time to "thin" them out! I wasn't sure how many would come up so I guess I may have been a little seed happy when planting in my very SMALL garden!!



I also bought some tomato plants as I needed some instant gratification in that garden!!






On a side note, across the driveway, I see my iris bulbs have come up and are blooming! Aren't they pretty with the dew on them????




And here we have the first bloom of our climbing clematis vine. I just love it when there is a drop of dew! Makes it look so fresh in the morning!




Stay tuned as I watch my garden grow! Where is Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary when I need her?????

I am linking my garden to Outdoor Wednesday over at A Southern Daydreamer to share with many others. Make sure to click back to view everyone's beautiful outdoors pictures on their blogs!

16 comments:

kim said...

How nice to have a garden like that. Too many critters around here to eat one up. I hope yours does well.

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Wow! Aren't you the smartest! That's really hard work. I'm sure you will appreciate every veggie coming from that garden!

Martha said...

Thanks for visiting Linderhof --

You'll enjoy your garden all during the summer and some of the thinnings make pretty good eating as well!

It is a lot of hard work but it looks like you've got a good start -- and some good helpers?

Congratulations on your blog!

The Thrifty Designer said...

Congratulations on your new blog and beautiful garden! We did container gardens this year because we have a very shady yard. The containers can be placed in the sunny spots. I look forward to having a "real" garden one day.

LV said...

We never knew there was any other way than plating from seeds. Not many people do it anymore. You are doing fine and I am sure you will be surprised at the outcome.

CASA BRASI said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog! Welcome to the blog world! Good luck with your garden! So exciting!!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Hello Bonnie,

Pleased to meet you! Congratulations on your new blog! Looks like your garden is going to do quite well. Your iris is very pretty!

~ Tracy

Diann said...

It is just so satisfying planting your little "babies" and seeing them grow! I love to play around in our gardens!

Bonnie said...

Everyone has been so nice and welcoming. Thank you for stopping by and being so supportive!! I really appreciate it!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Thank you, thank you for the idea of using a tarp to create a flower bed. We have clay soil and digging beds is a complete nightmare. I'll keep this in mind and try it over the winter. It will be so nice not to have to spend hours digging next spring.

Good luck with your adventures in gardening!

LDH said...

Hi Bonnie, So nice to meet you! You have done a great job with your new garden. Looks like you are going to reap lots from all of your hard work. Your photos are very nice! Beautiful color Iris.

I have enjoyed stopping by!
Kindly, ldh

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like you have a good start on your garden. I have not attempted a vegetable garden since back in the mid 80's.
Thanks for stopping by.

joanny said...

It looks like good rich dirt --- the real gold --
Lovely climbing clematis -- I lost mine this year, do not know what happened? You are lucky to have such a beautiful piece of land and a wonderful family, my boys hated gardening chores when they were growing up. Sigh! Maybe they will be thankful later on.

Happy out door Wednesday,
Joanny

Ebie said...

Hi Bonnie, you and your boys' efforts paid up! What a beautiful garden you have transformed!

Pretty clematis!

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Your garden is great! How nice to have all of that sun, we have only shade. I can't wait to see it when it's fully grown. Your flowers are lovely, also. Thank you for your visit!
Cheers, Andrea

Sandy said...

Congrats on your garden, looks like everything is doing very well. Thanks for stopping by. Visit again soon.
Sandy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails