Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Faux Painting - China Cabinet

Well, as some of you are aware, I have been working off and on trying to get this china cabinet to have a look I am happy with in the dining room. My honey bought it for me off of CraigsList for $25 so we didn't have too high of hopes for it!!

I don't have a before picture but just imagine early american dark pine finish. It had some water damage and needed a good cleaning.

I had originally painted it an off white as I was going for a lighter french country look in my home. My honey helped me put the chicken wire in the doors and then the glass behind it.

I thought it would look good with my Currier and Ives dishes from my grandma but to me it was just too plain. In addition, I changed the walls from a pale yellow to the dark red and tan so it stood out terribly!

I started with painting on an umber color glaze I made up and took a plastic bag to scrunch up the finish. Once that dried, I put a dark brown glaze on it and did the criss cross movement with a soft bristle brush to soften the glaze. I liked it but it still needed more. I had been thinking about painting or putting wallpaper on the inside to give it more character. Kim over at Savvy Southern Style gave me the nudge to do the toile wallpaper. I was much happier with it then.


However, the more I looked at it in the room, it just seemed to "honey" colored to match the table top. So I decided to make a darker glaze with the brown and did another coat on it.

Here is a close up of the finish and the wallpaper. I think it looks much better.


I can't say I am thrilled with it but I think for now it will be just fine. The darker color does look much better and maybe once I do the paint treatment on the lower half of the walls, I will like it even more. I hope to get that done next week so I can post the tour of this dining room. It sure has been a work in progress.



How about you, do you have projects that you have completed and everyone seems to like it alot but YOU just aren't satisfied????

I am linking to the following parties:


southern hospitality

The DIY Show Off Project Parade at
The DIY Show Off

Reinvented for


Hooking up with House of Hepworths

HookingupwithHoH


Furniture Feature Fridays


Frugalicious Friday over at
Decor Mamma

13 comments:

kim said...

Bonnie, it looks great darker. Thanks for mentioning me. That was back in our rms days. Have a good one.

Meet Virginia said...

This turned out so so great! I love the wallpaper!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Donna said...

Hi Bonnie,
You did a fantastic job on your hutch! Hard to believe it was only $25! I am in love with toile, so I really like what you did with the wallpaper. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and your nice comments!

Jemsmom said...

Call me crazy, but I liked it white too! It looks great though brown against those walls. The toile is super cute and just makes it. I love how you put the chicken wire in there. So french country! I can't wait to see the whole room. You are just doing a fabulous job on everything!

lindsey@junkstyle said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. You do some really great makeovers on all of that furniture!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

I've always liked red dining rooms and the dark color of the piece makes the room look cozy. That said, it's not my home and I do know what you mean about not being satisfied with a project. That happens to me ALL of the time. Change is good, change is fun!

Melissa Miller said...

Bonnie it is so beautiful! Great job on it.

Thank you very much for your kind email and understanding about my Dad. You're the best sweet friend. I really appreciate you.

Have a blessed day. ~Melissa :)

Angie said...

wow love it!!!

Kimberly said...

I have to say, I do like the new color! It looks really good in the room with the newly painted walls. You did an amazing job with mixing the color and like the scrunch the paint idea. Almost looks as if it was meant to be painted that color originally. It stands out beautifully!

Angie said...

Bonnie please do show us a pic of your kitchen would love to see it...and bathroom LOL x

Julie said...

Very pretty!

www.FrugalFabulousDesign.com

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh wow! I adore this project. What a wonderful metamorphosis.

Please stop by and see my project. It only took 23 years to complete.

Beeutiful by Design said...

I love the toile - it looks great :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails