Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cabinet Enhancer!

I bought this cabinet on Craigslist a little over a year ago for my dining room. I added the toile fabric to the doors to hide the stuff I had inside because I couldn't get the display to look right. I always thought I would refresh the stain and that would be good enough. The more I looked at it and the more I see all the DIY projects everyone is doing, I thought it needed something more!



Out it came from the wall, drop cloth down and off to work I went sanding it. I pulled out paint I had from the dining room as well as some other things in case I needed them. I then added a coat of the barn red paint you see on the wall in the dining room!






I let that dry about 24 hours and then was getting ready for the next step, CRACKLE. Okay, I thought I had some but couldn't find it ANYWHERE! So off I went to Hobby Lobby and all I could find was a little 2 oz bottle. I don't think that would be enough! I called my sister-in-law that I know just bought some and she said at Lowes. Well, I was closer to Home Depot and thought those warehouse places are all the same. NOT!! They don't carry anything like that, I was told. I had to drive across town to Lowes and pay $12 for a quart of crackle!! By the time I got home, I was almost too tired to finish!!

I added the crackle medium to the cabinet and let it dry about 2 hours. I pulled out the tan paint that is also on the wall there in the dining room. I rolled it on to the best of my ability and had to brush it on in the tighter places trying to move fast enough to keep from messing up the crackle. Well, some areas looked like they were starting to fall off. I almost cried but instead just kept on painting the rest of it! I really loved the way the top looked but was a little discouraged with the doors.






I stopped looking at it and let the paint dry about 4 hours. I then sanded the areas that I didn't like to give it a more "used/abused" appearance. I started to smile again. Well, because it is the same colors as in the room, OBVIOUSLY it wasn't standing out against the wall! So I broke out some gel stain I had and gave it a once over.

Can you say LOVE it!! I am just in awe over how it turned out! I actually sat in the dining room staring at it for about 15 minutes before my eldest son came in and just looked at me. I know what he was thinking....FREAK!




Here is a finished shot with my accessories back on top. I wanted to post my dining room this week but I still have to finish the china cabinet glaze and now I think I am going to age the lower half of the walls in there. I REALLY need to stop looking at all of your blogs because I am NEVER done!!!
Do you like it?


I am linking up with the following great parties!!!

Domestically Speaking
for the Power of Paint

A Soft Place to Land for DIY Day

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays

A Picture is Worth a 1,00 Words for 2nd time around Tuesday!

Always Nesting for Woo Hoo Wednesday

Furniture Feature Fridays


Frugalicious Friday over at
Decor Mamma

Under The Table & Dreaming for

UndertheTableandDreaming

17 comments:

Debbie said...

Awesome Job Bonnie, it totally has a new vibrant life. And what a great spot for it!

Katie said...

I love it! Isn't crackle paint the best. Great idea, it look terrific!

Always Nesting said...

Like it? I LOVE it!! Woo Hoo! I am so with you feeling the anguish as a project gives you grief. Don't you just love it when you feel, maybe...maybe...maybe....YES, it's awesome!

You did good. I love it that you have so many possibilities to change out the fabric inside the doors also. I can just picture Christmas print fabric with a Christmas vignette on display.

I've never tried crackle but now I need to give it a try.

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Looking good! I know what you mean about not accomplishing anything when you are reading a lot of blogs. I don't think I finished anything all winter. I was too busy reading everyone's ideas.

kim said...

Bonnie, the finish looks great. Lot of work, but worth it in the end.

Susan said...

Beautiful now!! So much more personality!

Always Nesting said...

Woo Hoo! You are celebrating with us. Yeah! I love that cabinet. If you lived closer I'd certainly let you work on some of my furniture and show me how to add the crackle....I promise I'd help... :)

Thanks for linking to Woo Hoo! Wednesday and joining the fun. Grab a snack and browse the links for a bit.

From the Kitchen said...

Hi Bonnie. yes, I do like it. I'm thinking that I may be able to apply this technique to the inside of our built-in china cupboard. The inside back is very dark and things just don't show up very well. I may try cutting cardboard to the size of the back and covering that with fabric. To be honest, I'm not very "design capable" but, nothing ventured.....!

Best,
Bonnie

Bonnie said...

Thanks everyone!!! I am thrilled with the cabinet!

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Hi Bonnie. It looks great. It's so unique.
Kristine
xx

La Bella Vie said...

Bonnie, I love your blog today, you are amazing girl!
Thank you for the nice note about my anniversary today. Yes its amazing how quickly time flys by, 19 years went by in a heartbeat. You too in April! Thanks for still coming by La Bella Vie, I really enjoy the company.
Most sincerely,
Terry

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it looks great! the colors work nicely together and nicely in your home. what a great little cabinet!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I need to try some crackling... it looks so fun! Thanks for sharing with us at the POPP.

Crystal said...

It does look great! You've really done a fantastic job!!

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

Love the little cabinet.

I'm like you- I need to stop looking at all the blogs, they make my head spin, with project ideas and NOW I'M STRUGGLING WITH INDECISION!!!
To crackle or not to crackle?...that is the question!

Sandy@Life Began In A Garden said...

The perfect colors and technique, love it!

Stephanie Lynn said...

Looks fabulous! Love the white crackle over the barn red and the toile paper is gorgeous. Great job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails